Paul van Dyk - 8/30/03, Boston Avalon

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

pvd rocks imo, im too far away from boston sorry.

van dyk has a much different sound then most of the dj's, his songs normaly get remixed and fuked up and thats what you hear on the radio.

mother fucker. thats like saying metal all sounds the same. all it has is some dude screaming and guitars all distored :bash:

most of the shit you've heard is generic radio bullshit. that is NOT TRANCE! DJ SAMMY CAN EAT MY LEFT NUT. i hate the fact that everyone thinks that shit. </rant>

anyway, if anyone is in the boston/ct/ny/ area or even further and wants to drive up, i REALLY want to go to this... bad. avalon has been rated the best club in the US 3 years in a row on the las vegas conventions and shit.. it should be fucking hot.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 21 2003, 11:56 PM
mother fucker. thats like saying metal all sounds the same. all it has is some dude screaming and guitars all distored :bash:

most of the shit you've heard is generic radio bullshit. that is NOT TRANCE! DJ SAMMY CAN EAT MY LEFT NUT. i hate the fact that everyone thinks that shit. </rant>

anyway, if anyone is in the boston/ct/ny/ area or even further and wants to drive up, i REALLY want to go to this... bad. avalon has been rated the best club in the US 3 years in a row on the las vegas conventions and shit.. it should be fucking hot.

well ive been to a few raves and to ME the shit sounds the same.

dude!!! i would SOO be there.

but boston is really far from here :(

I've seen him live and its a fuckin crazy experience. He was playing locally for 2 nights in a row, and i loved it so much i went and saw him again.

I bet your excited! :thumbsup:

excited? I have no one to fucking go with me!!!!!!!!!!

come up for the weekend :) ride the Duk- you'll get here in 2 hours. lol

I'm from bean-town, but not really into techno.
I may be down though...I know I gotta work on the 30th...we'll see.

get your ass up here mike :) that would be ill.

if your not into techno, who cares. im not either. Dyk spins Trance :)

Honstly, I would get a bus ticket and go up there and see the show with you just because how good Van Dyk is live, but... I have to take an 8-hour driving class on the 30th from 11-7pm or else my license gets suspended. :(

What a great way to spend a saturday, eh?

Plus the face that i've already spent enough money on van dyk in the last 3 months.

Originally posted by HatchSpeeD@Aug 22 2003, 12:47 AM
Whats the difference between trance & techno? :shrug2:

:werd: , i'm not knockin' it... i just seriously don't know what the difference is. isn't it all just "uns uns uns uns uns uns un un uns uns uns....."?

you have no idea. lol

trance is nothing like techno, or drum and bass, or jungle, or goa, or psy, or any of the other generes

i love goa shizz!

infected mushroom are one of my favorites.

that shits crazy when your trippin on shrooms :ph34r:

The diff is that trance has a kind of musicality that can't even be matched by many other genres of music--IMHO it rivals classical music in that it is as complex as it is simple.

Techno is headache-inducing repetitive music that really isn't very popular anymore. Download artists like KlubKraft of Polarium for examples. Techno has little variance, and is basically composed of a percussion line that doesn't vary throughout the entire song (usually bassdrum-hihat-bassdrum-hihat, the unh-tiss-unh-tiss-unh-tiss-unh-tiss that most people associate with electronica in general). It's got a bassline that usually isn't composed of more than 2 notes, and is played very loudly, and a very electronic melody line, often spanning less than an octave. Techno can generally be made in a 6 track mixing machine, because of the lack of depth. It is sometimes overlayed with synthesized lyrics or stupid phrases.

If you listen to trance after reading that description, you will definitely hear the difference. Trance music is rarely mixed with fewer than 24 tracks. It has varying beat structures, layered melodies often using plucked string instruments or piano/piano-clones. The bass line generally follows the melody wherever it goes, staying within an octave for the most part. And importantly, trance music always has a harmony, usually a synthesized warm string pad (a synth violin, viola, cello, or perhaps a combination), that complements the melody. It is repetitive perhaps only in its lyrics, because when listening to a trance song, you can generally hear peaks and valleys in the strength of the music which add variety to the song. Instruments are often pulled out of the song one by one until only one remains and then are fed back in as slowly, for a roller coaster kind of effect. The lyrics are usually tracked to the melody and are often sung by an airy, angelic female voice. If you really listen to a trance song, you can pick up the emotion that the artist is trying to convey. Good examples throughout the spectrum of trance include 'It's My Turn' by Angelic, 'Don't Give Up' by Chicane, 'Carte Blanche' by Veracocha, 'Greece 2000' by Three Drives, most PVD songs (I love 'The Riddle', even though they played it on MTV), Matt Darey remixes, Tillmann Uhrmacher...there's a lot.

Cliffs: Trance > Techno

Back