PC diagnostic tools

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well, i guess i should rephrase.
I DO use my c drive, as its my only drive.

but i also run Online Backup, Data Backup & Remote Backup Solutions | Mozy home premium backup. so twice a day, all of my docs/pics/email/etc do a delta and perform an incremental backup. Other than windows and office, all of my other programs can be downloaded form the web again with a recepit link saved in the emails.

plus, it acts as a cloud too, so i can sync with my phone, or get a file on the road if i need it.

the cloud is here. embrace it.

Lots of security concerns on the cloud and sensitive data. If its not sensitive, go for it.

...but as an insurance company, we can't even place data compromise risk for clients using the cloud - its cost prohibitive and most of the cloud providers offer very very limited protection, IF ANY AT ALL.

I just had an auto dealer opt to buy $40,000 in more computer equipment and on site storage rather than going third party because the premium for data compromise coverage was about $40,000/year.

My pictures and word docs are hardly a security risk. sure, someone might find my phone number, but i don't store anything with ssn's, etc there.
antd it had 256k encryption on it anyway. frankly, it's safer there than on my home machine that doesn't even have a password on it. lol

I do know that the tools are manufacturer specific, for the most part. I also know that seatools for dos has problems with sata compatibility mode on some bios', but I do not have the ability to change from ahci and what not in my bios. I guess that's why its good to use tests to verify tests.

I do not use cloud storage. Mainly because I do not really need access to any of my personal data from anywhere in the world right now. Plus I like to be able to see where my data is physically.

As someone who loses absolutely all his data every 5-7 years because he just won't back up, the cloud has been a lifesaver.

Google drive ftw. I'm even considering the paid 25gb or 100gb plans as a way to prevent loss of all my family photos.

All my stuff is encrypted with hardware PKI token. Our stuff at work is secure to all but the insider threat.

I use windows logs, McAfee HIP, and basically windows tools to fix anything. If it takes longer than 30 minutes to fix it, we plunk a new drive with a fresh image in, copy data over, and drop the new machine into the correct SCCM groups to get the software.

Most of the time a windows roll-back fixes it.

If the machine is compromised (virus, trojan, malware, etc.,) I have no choice (due to regulation) but to wipe the machine and only pull data off in a very time consuming manner. Most of my user-base is smart enough to back up their data, because they know I can only do so much.

That must be nice, not having to track down viruses. Maybe my new job will have less leg work involved.

At first, yeah, it is. However, once you see something that's not documented yet -- it's infuriating.

I have the abilities to be ahead of the game, and analyze the malware, but the regulation does not allow me to be anything but reactionary.

Then again, it's all a carefully calculated game of cat and mouse.

I would think that your position (clearance level government work) would be highly concerned with prevention over reaction.

Not my shop. Then again, I'm on the front lines, not out in some bunker looking at 132243 screens all day.

Our network is managed by another group, our helpdesk is somewhere else, our image is managed by another group, and our HIP/AV is managed by some people up in the sky.

I just handle policy and a little bit of break/fix.

Well, I understand how that can be frustrating. Being able to prevent the mess, but only being allowed to clean it up. I start a new job on Thursday with the school district and there are only a handful of us, so I wont have the restrictions that you do. If I can find a way to prevent, then it will be accepted with open arms.

Back