PC help! Computer shocked me

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

corvetteguy78

VIP
now it won't boot up, you can tell it turns on but then the power cuts....ideas asap...power supply?

Last edited:
dont' mess with it anymore. leave it off. i would take it to a shop that has extra parts. this cant' be good.

could be the power supply, but don't try and turn it on any more.. If you know anything about them take it apart and check if you can see anything fried or smell which part is bad..

how did it exactly zap you?? were you messing with the insides? or u just pushed power and "vtech" kicked in and gave you a good sting? :p (sorry had to do that one).

anyway, very very good chance it blew up, literally, meaning something went and took out everything.

but i would definitely unplug it, and if youre comfortable with trouble shooting, its pretty easy.

its pretty safe to say your PSU is toasted and i wouldnt troubleshoot with it. remove everything from the power source and unplug everything from the motherboard except video card (unless you have intergrated), 1 stick of RAM and processor. then hook up a good psu, but dont plug in the ac power cord yet.

find the CMOS jumpers and clear it. do this by either pushing the button or removing the pins into CLEAR and wait like 30 secs. then put it back the way it was and plug the psu ac adapter in. if the system will not POST or if the system powers on and no beeps its either

a)processor
b)motherboard

if it does beep, then the ram or video card is toasted. to determine if its a) or b), you would need a known good setup as control so you can test each part to determine what it is.

but from my experience its usally the psu going out and taking the motherboard. cpus and rams are pretty hardy unless you give them too much juice and video cards are the middle in terms of what would usually go.

anywahy good luck and hopefully it just need a cmos clear and a new psu.

how did it exactly zap you?? were you messing with the insides? or u just pushed power and "vtech" kicked in and gave you a good sting? :p (sorry had to do that one).

This needs to be answered. If you were just pushing the power button and it shocked you and died, I'd guess the psu died and hopefully didn't take anything with it.

i came home and my computer was on sleep mode, i hit the power button and ZAP and computer went poof. no smells nothing seems fried, i did all the tests but the powerwon't stay on for more then 7 seconds. just for haha's i went to 220v on the back of the PSU and it stays on but doesn't boot up the computer...i ordered a new MB yesterday we will see

Ok so it was the motherboard, musta got fried it was a Asus M2A-VM, bought an ASUS M4a785-M works like a charm

Ibuypower 531-n gamer system
AMD Phenom 9500 Quad Core
4 GIG OCZ Dual Channel Titanium pc6400 RAM
EVGA geforce 8800GT
and now new mother board
Bose Companion III Speakers
I-INC 28inch HDMI monitor

Back