Pc vs Mac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fionntan

Banned
I just read turbomirages thread and was curious why so many people here dont like macs. I personally dont have a strong opinion either way, I just wanted to know everyone elses. I know some of you on here work in the computer industry and have a far greater knowledge of the differences than I do.

I personally own a mac. I have never owned a pc. My first computer was an apple IIe and I just have stuck with apple since the beginning. Part of the reason I use a mac is because of the program that I work with (pro-tools). Until a couple of years ago it was not available for a pc. It is now, but I have stuck with what I am used to. Plus I have never been in any studio that runs pc's.

Any way I am not trying to start a flame war, just wanted to get some insight.

More options, both hardware and software

Cheaper

If you're a gamer it's really your only choice

Macs had the lock on media editing software, and had the best floating point performance- the hardware edge is gone now, and the software is eroding (but still why you don't see studios running PCs)

Steve Jobs is even more evil in business tactics than Bill Gates

Paying for service packs

OS just as unstable and buggy as M$ stuff

Could go on and on...

I've been meaning to build a Hackintosh, but I just never got around to it. Plus I have Windows 7. Happy. :D

Yeah- basically running Mac OS on non-Mac hardware.

Do you feel that a pc is easier to use? By easier I mean real use not just the daily email checks and web browsing. Also why dont people make games for a mac? Is it just because of the amount of people who have a mac is a lot smaller then people with pc's.

It's easier to use for me because that's what I'm more used to- but I think the Mac is easier to pick up and use without knowing anything at all. I DO know that the stuff I want to do on PC (configuration, customization etc) is a lot harder to access on a Mac because Apple likes to keep people out of areas that can screw up the system.

You hit the nail on the head for games- plus the core gamer crowd has always been more computer savvy (until the past 2-3 years) so has always put together their own systems in pursuit of max performance specifically for gaming. Games push the hardware industry- so naturally almost all of your gamers are going to be PC people that like squeezing the maximum speed possible out of their parts. You can't do that with a Mac.

Macs are very easy to just pick up an use.

PC’s get the best games and are pretty much a “blank slate” for whatever you want to do. My mac has some drm bs that makes me change the drive region to watch dvd’s i have purchased in the USA that may be from other parts of the world.

And mine is designed in such a way that I feel no need to buy (or even pirate) 3rd part software for it - not that the crapple software is spectacular or anything.

Macs are great --- for people who need to check email and surf the web.
anything beyond that, a pc can match or do better and for a lower price tag.

And mine is designed in such a way that I feel no need to buy (or even pirate) 3rd part software for it - not that the crapple software is spectacular or anything.

You're not doing enough then. ;)

Basically, this type of usage represents probably 80% of the computer-using population. Make that easy and accessible and you'll sell computers. Hell, most of the time that's all I use my power-hungry rig for- the same goes with most power users. The other 20% of the market isn't as important to capture, so they don't bother.

More options, both hardware and software

Cheaper

If you're a gamer it's really your only choice

Macs had the lock on media editing software, and had the best floating point performance- the hardware edge is gone now, and the software is eroding (but still why you don't see studios running PCs)

Steve Jobs is even more evil in business tactics than Bill Gates

Paying for service packs

OS just as unstable and buggy as M$ stuff

Could go on and on...

I've been meaning to build a Hackintosh, but I just never got around to it. Plus I have Windows 7. Happy. :D

Apply the same thing to the iPhone as well. Apple has a screwed up sense of itself. Releasing MMS and trying to play it off as its something Apple invented is retarded, and to add insult to injury they charge you for it! Its like pissing on someone and telling them its raining.

^ Apple was smart to hold back features. Customers demand MMS.

This forced competition. Look at all the other iclones on the market less than 2 years after the original iphone. Complain all you want - customers win in the end.

IMHO I hate the idea of an iphone. Every piece of new tech we are presented with has more and more strings attached to it . . . i guess i am just anti tech.

Apply the same thing to the iPhone as well. Apple has a screwed up sense of itself. Releasing MMS and trying to play it off as its something Apple invented is retarded, and to add insult to injury they charge you for it! Its like pissing on someone and telling them its raining.

Agree 100%- but I still have an iPhone. I hate all the little weird things that I have to put up with, but right now there isn't anything else I'd rather have. Right now anyway....

I have a quad core 3300mhz system with 8gb of DDR3 ram. What would that cost under the apple label? =)

Macs tend to give you very few options on hardware, this means a lot less hardware issues. that's good for your avg user, but for someone who likes to change things up it sucks. Macs also cost more when it comes to bang for the buck. People argue they dont but just go to bestbuy.com and look at the specs on PCs and Mac desktops or laptops, clearly PCs are much cheaper.

Lets not forget the users, while there's legit users, more times then not most users are just because users, macs better just because.

Iphone users are the same way. One thing I love about my black berry is how it reminds me of a PC. The Iphone you cant easily upgrade memory or change the battery, black berry you can. Mac in order to do custom themes you must jail break it, or at least in the past you did. Black berry allows anyone to download software directly off their site that lets them do custom themes from icon design to full layout changes.

Pipboy_3000_A.jpg

I installed that theme a few weeks after the phone came out.

Linh has a macbook and 2 things that really piss me off about it are 1. battery life is about 20% what my 1000HE has, I shit you not, I dont think it can stay unplugged for 1 hour. On top of that the designers at Apple did yet another stupid thing, the power cable is half as long as my netbooks power cord. I can't place her macbook on my lap while in bed if its plugged in with out using an extension cord, same goes for sitting on the sofa down stairs, the macbook powercord reaches the arm rest but that's it. Why apple why?

oh and another reason I cant stand mac users... Again just because users, whos macs or iphones can never be anything less then perfect.

Googling to see if there's a longer power cord for macbooks since Apple screwed us with the tiny ass one, what are the answers most commonly found on forums for longer power cord?

Why do you need to get a longer cord, its fine, just get an extension cord....

Another one is looking into installing a different OS on the mac like Ubuntu.

Someone can ask, how do I install ubuntu and the replies that I found at a handful of places...

Why would anyone want to install something other then the Mac OS.

How about because some people want to? fuckers!

Hmm... I like that. I might have to look into some of the new Crackberries. I didn't like any that were out on the market when I bought my iSuck.

Hmm... I like that. I might have to look into some of the new Crackberries. I didn't like any that were out on the market when I bought my iSuck.

The number one problem with the storm is its not an iphone...
The 1st storm with the OS that shipped with it needed tweaking to get it running good, without doing any tweaking it was slow, the touch screen responded poorly and over all it was blah, however the people over at black berry were kicking out non official updates every 2 weeks or so. everyone was able to give feed back on the forums on what did and what did not work and surprise! They would fix the issues! sometimes making new issues but either way it was constantly being updated. Once the new official OS came out they had a very solid fast OS.

I have really enjoyed my storm from day one since I'm willing to tweak sittings on it and e-mail is hands down better. However, I will give it to the iphone, the games are hands down better. If I were to buy an iphone it would be for only 1 reason, the games. Also the Iphone apps IMO are like wii games, everyone jumped on the band wagon meaning 90% are total crap, or in the iphones case 9900 out of 10K are crap.

Macs are great --- for people who need to check email and surf the web.
anything beyond that, a pc can match or do better and for a lower price tag.
I agree with the lower price tag, but I dont think they can do better at everything else. Are there credible studies that prove a pc is better or faster. Do better and faster mean the same thing when talking about computers. I am also not comparing apple and microsoft, just the computers. Both apple and microsoft are businesses trying to make money.

I get the feeling that I am one of the VERY few people here that have never owned a pc.

Last edited:
However, I will give it to the iphone, the games are hands down better. If I were to buy an iphone it would be for only 1 reason, the games. Also the Iphone apps IMO are like wii games, everyone jumped on the band wagon meaning 90% are total crap, or in the iphones case 9900 out of 10K are crap.

Yeah... it is like the old PSX curse- very little regulation, so most of the stuff is junk- but the good stuff is REALLY good. I do like the fact that I can find an app for just about anything I need to do. That's one thing that the iSuck has above everything else. Maybe the only thing. Oh, and Apple's one button control scheme. :p

I agree with the lower price tag, but I dont think they can do better at everything else. Are there credible studies that prove a pc is better or faster. Do better and faster mean the same thing when talking about computers. I am also not comparing apple and microsoft, just the computers. Both apple and microsoft are businesses trying to make money.

I get the feeling that I am one of the VERY few people here that have never owned a pc.

I don't think you're going to find a study like that because it can't be measured. You could run benchmarks, but that's all up to hardware. The utility of a computer is subjective, so you won't be able to measure it.

And comparing Apple to Microsoft is difficult. Apple makes its own hardware and prohibits other companies from selling anything that will run its operating system. Microsoft does NOT build computers and allows anyone to run its OS. It's hard to draw a straight comparison between the two. Apple wins its game because it sells a complete package. M$ wins its game because it sells an incomplete package that can be used to create a complete package.

Back