Pc vs Mac

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I looked at those and can't figure out for the life of me why I'd want one of those VS my basic netbook.

Maybe I'm missing something.

Nope, you are right. There really is no reason to get one. It doesn't even multitask. A 1ghz proc. and no multitasking.

id get my grandmother one

big buttons, limited functionality, completely locked down. perfect for the elderly.

I looked at those and can't figure out for the life of me why I'd want one of those VS my basic netbook.

Touchscreen, larger screen. I was actually quite intrigued by the price. I'd seriously consider getting one and stuffing it into a portfolio to use as a notepad at work- if I can pass it off as a PDA and not a personal computer on company property. Fine line. :)

Touchscreen, larger screen. I was actually quite intrigued by the price. I'd seriously consider getting one and stuffing it into a portfolio to use as a notepad at work- if I can pass it off as a PDA and not a personal computer on company property. Fine line. :)

I thought the macipad was a 9.x" screen.

So pretty much you want a netbook without a keyboard but with a touch screen.

Yeah, you're absolutely right- but if it has functionality that will allow it to be written on like a notepad but with OCR and better organization- it could be quite useful. I'm guessing no though because they show it with a keyboard...

Yeah, you're absolutely right- but if it has functionality that will allow it to be written on like a notepad but with OCR and better organization- it could be quite useful. I'm guessing no though because they show it with a keyboard...

Writing? lol that's so 1995 Anyone hip/cool/apple fan has no reason to type.

had a feeling this was gonna start a flame war. its like which is better; intel vs amd, nvidia vs ati, or TRUE vs Corsair H50.

anyway, as far i can see it:

a) osx - if youre rich, care about looks and dont want to fiddle with stuff and have it work or do a/v.
b) windows - if youre poor or care about perf./$, like things to work most of the time with little effort, bench and game (bleeding edge).
3 linux - if youre poor or care about perf./$, willing to learn and like customization.

but honestly, windows has the best compatibility in hardware/software of all time, of all time.

oh yeah osx is almost a decade old with 6 service packs =P

you wont be the envy of the coffee house hipster crowd

that was one of the missing features they were complaining about it lacking today on NPR when they were talking about it.... also it doesnt work with a stylus... so even if it does get the ability to take hand written notes, it will be like finger painting

That's true. They all just tap, peck and pinch. And bitch about the crappy camera. :lol:

another thing the iPad is lacking is a camera... but im sure that will be coming on version 2 or 3 of this thing... seems to be Apple's MO to leave key features and abilities out of their products and leak them out bit by bit over time, so everyone needs to repurchase it again in a year or two (kinda like what has been going on with the iPhone)

had a feeling this was gonna start a flame war. its like which is better; intel vs amd, nvidia vs ati, or TRUE vs Corsair H50.

anyway, as far i can see it:

a) osx - if youre rich, care about looks and dont want to fiddle with stuff and have it work or do a/v.
b) windows - if youre poor or care about perf./$, like things to work most of the time with little effort, bench and game (bleeding edge).
3 linux - if youre poor or care about perf./$, willing to learn and like customization.

but honestly, windows has the best compatibility in hardware/software of all time, of all time.

oh yeah osx is almost a decade old with 6 service packs =P

By your reasoning, the only people who should bother with Macs are the rich who want them to be cool and trendy. Oh wait... :ph34r:

that was one of the missing features they were complaining about it lacking today on NPR when they were talking about it.... also it doesnt work with a stylus... so even if it does get the ability to take hand written notes, it will be like finger painting

Well, there is a stylus that works with the iPhone. It's conductive so the screen still reads some of the mojo from your fingers. Still like finger painting though- since the screen was never intended to pick up stuff like that, there will probably never be an application for it. Not that 90% of the users would care- they'd still get to watch videos and pinch away.

another thing the iPad is lacking is a camera... but im sure that will be coming on version 2 or 3 of this thing... seems to be Apple's MO to leave key features and abilities out of their products and leak them out bit by bit over time, so everyone needs to repurchase it again in a year or two (kinda like what has been going on with the iPhone)

That would actually be a good thing for me. I wouldn't even stand a chance at using this at work as a PDA type device if it had a camera on it.

Which is my primary point of contention with Apple.

The iHugeiTouch/iPhone is Apples biggest failure to date honestly. And bashing netbooks was not a very smart move either. This new device is no where near as complete as a netbook in a lot of areas and surpasses them in a few mainly as an E book reader. Why put a 1ghz proc in this thing and run a tuned version of the iPhone OS? It just doesn't make sense to me. I have a feeling that in 12 to 14 months they are going to release ver. 2 of the device and it will magically have multi tasking.

And because it isnt subsidized you get to pay full price for the new model!

If the ipad gets a camera, it will be an “isight” webcam like mac laptops have, not a camera for taking pictures.

The people from boston are the real winners here - they can exchange their “ipods" for “ipads" and still pronounce the name of their new gadget in exactly the same way.

I do music/hobby photography I built a newer computer a few months back with 1 goal in mind, music and photo editing.

I could have easily switched to a mac setup with pro tools. I really saw no benefit in doing so, if anything, it would limit me on how many samples I could run at the same time. Having windows 7 64 bit, sonar 8.5 64 bit and all my samplers 64 bit with 8GB of DDR3, hundred GB+ of samples, a true external audio interface. The skys the limit. The system rocks, I can now run 5-6-7-8 samples at the same time with out having to mix them down. Computer can run them live with ease.

While I have the money now to buy whatever system is needed to fit my needs, I do have to say, 10 years ago, without a doubt I would have done a mac setup if money wasn't an issue. However, sometime in the 2000s PCs have made giant gains in the production side of software. You can even get pro tools on a PC! Too bad Sonar is gaining fast on them.

The saying, buy a PC for basic needs and gaming and buy a Mac if you do video/audio work is long gone. It's nothing more then an old saying.

good info jeffie. i dont do much a/v at all so i couldnt comment or make a "factual" statement. the only thing i do is use audacity to cut up songs for ring tones and such and nero to burn home movies:ph34r:.

but as far as gaming goes, it is a windows thing. no other platform can touch it for hardware/software compability. shit, only win 7 supports TRIM for ssd, not to mention the biggest baddest cards are released and ironed out for windows first. and as ive read, the new ati radeons are a pain to get working properly for linux.

Back