PC won't read/format mSDHC card

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

I bought a Sandisk 32GB class-10 microSDHC card for my GoPro on Thursday and initially it worked fine on my home computer. On Saturday, it did something weird when I plugged the GoPro into the computer; I got an "SD Error" on the GoPro and my computer would not format it(it would start but then stop halfway with an "unable to format" message).

I tried to format it through my laptop, no go, but was finally able to format the SD card through the GoPro. After that, the GoPro seems to record just fine and the laptop can read it just fine. When I plug it into the home PC, I get the "drive needs to be formatted" message again and I am not able to format it; and afterwards it wouldn't work on the GoPro or laptop again either.

Now, I tried it on my PC through the GoPro(leave the SD card in there) and a card reader; same issue with both. Is this some sort of drive issue? If so, what driver do I need?

I mean it works fine when I format from the GoPro and just use it on my laptop. Basically it messes up any time it's plugged into my PC.

I've got a couple thumb drives that do pretty much the same thing. I plug them in and it tells me it has to format it. I just cancel, and try again later, it usually works. Extremely annoying.

Yeah I saw a lot of those issues when trying to Google the problem. Though, I got it working somehow just by uninstalling the "drives" and restarting the computer. What I didn't notice earlier was I was getting a similar message for my iPod that was plugged in(said I needed to restore it). When I restarted the computer, that was working fine again too. Maybe OS issue?

my larger pny thumb drive does this (16gb). my 4gb one does not. It must be the size thing, and using fat32 for compatibility.

So, now my 16GB iPod is sort of doing the same thing(no longer sees it as "Apple device" but as USB mass storage but still gets a code 37 error). After spending about an hour yesterday, I got it to work...but after I got home from work and plugged it in, same error. Would it be safe to assume its the USB controller?

The iPod works completely fine on my laptop too.

its possible that the usb port doesn't have enough juice to support it. some are .5v and some are 2.5 v. The 2.5's are the ones you should be using for things that need power (have lights, etc, or charge) the .5v ones are for sticks that don't charge or have lights.

Back