PCV Valve and Breather Tube.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

luciusad2004

Hey all.

When i purchased my car The breather tube had been capped by the previous owner as he had installed a small "intake" and there is no bung for the breather tube. (pretty much an elbow cut off an another intake, my filter sat just behind my dizzy) I added some pipe to the intake to get the filter down by the battery but I don't have welding experience. Would it be possible to have a shop weld on a bung for a breather tube? It's just a plain hose, yeah, without any valves right?

Here is the what I'm referring to. Head is a b18b1.

Should have a tube running to the Intake right? Should I just run one of those little filters in the mean time? Leave it capped? Doesn't the breather tube play a role in the proper functioning of the PCV system?

Also, The other day , i was driving down the highway and when i got to my destination i noticed that my car was idling strange. I popped the hood and noticed that the PCV Valve had popped out of the Valve Cover. I put it back in place and it hasn't given me anymore trouble but should I look to replace it? Is it likely getting worn out?

Thanks for any input.

Thats not for the pcv valve. That is just a breather that has a tube that goes straight to the intake pipe/ cold air intake

Thats not for the pcv valve. That is just a breather that has a tube that goes straight to the intake pipe/ cold air intake

You mean in my picture or the one I was talking about on the top of the valve cover.

This is the one I was talking about that popped out. It runs to the intake manifold. Is that my PCV?
Sorry, I was actually asking about two different tubes there. I'm not to great at explaining myself sometimes.

*edit* Note, its only disconnected in the pictures because it was in the way.

If the block is obd1, put the pcv valve in that hole then run the tube down to the black box on the back of the block...

If the block is obd1, put the pcv valve in that hole then run the tube down to the black box on the back of the block...

The block is obd0 b18a1.

I'm not really positive what the head is, I suspect obd1 but I don't know how to verify that. The engine runs of an obd0 ecu though. The tube from the PCV normally runs in to the intake mani.

ok the valve cover is a obd2 where the pcv is in the valve cover.. on obd1 and obd0 the pcv is in the breather box on the bottom of the back side of the block and then runs up to the intake.. im not sure where it runs to on the obd2 from valve cover to???

To the intake manifold. If you look at my picture again, you can see it up next to the throttle cable. I just had it tucked out of the way because I was working on other things when i took the picture. I only asked about replacing the PCV valve because it popped out on me while driving and I wasn't sure if maybe it was just getting worn out.

I'm mostly concerned about the breather tube in my fist picture. Should I get a bung welded on to the intake pipe I have so I can hook up the breather tube? I know they have those little filters you can put on, usually in the ricer section of most auto stores or I could just leave it capped off.

Oh ok I see yeah I would get a new pcv valve it could be bad... The other tube just put one of those small filters on it, this needs to vent. It it was blocked off that could of caused the pcv to pop out... But dont run a hose from valve cover to intake in that first pic, just use the filter on the valve cover and block off the intake pipe....

I took a look today after posting this thread. And I still have the breather box on my block as well as the PCV valve on top of the head. (block is from an obd0 b18a1 engine head is from a b18b1)

The box on the back of the block looks like it's just open venting to the atmosphere. Should i find a way to plug it up and just use the PCV valve coming off the head?

I tried Google searching it because i know other people have mated the b18b head to the b18a and what little info I found said to use one or the other. I couldn't find anything definitive though. I know I saw a thread somewhear where they deleted the breather box and made a custom PCV system with a catchbox that could handle boost. Idk what to do about it. Is it going to hurt my engine in the mean time until i get something worked out? Damage performance?

Idk. I get so frustrated with this car more and more every time I work on it lol. Next time I buy a car it's going to be completely stock.

run the pcv valve like it should be a get one of those mini filters to put on the tube that you have plugged

that should fix er up

I don't think it's really better, but just a way to take care of it when your intake doesn't have a bung for the breather tube. Next time my cars up the shop I might ask the mechanic to put a bung on my intake.

I suppose some might say it looks "cleaner than haveing breather tubes run.

But if you look at most aftermarket intakes they accomodate the breather tube. Mine doesn't because its a cheap homebuilt solution.

You might not be interested, but you could prolly pick up the stock intake and filter box for next to nothing at a junk yard. Hell I would hazard to guess there might even be people here that have one laying around waiting to go in the trash, ask Around. That way you could have a properly working intake that was designed to fit your car.

I thought about it, but I'm mostly happy with the intake I built and the cone filter. The lack of breather tubes the only real problem I have with it.

Out of curiosity How does the stock EF intake fit with a B-series swap? Anybody done any comparasins of the stock system with something like a K&N drop in filter Vs an aftermarket with a cone filter? I'm assuming the difference is minimal?

the stock intakes can generally be made to work

i prefer to dump back into the intake so the dirty air goes through the motor and out through your cat so you're not destroying the environment
i ran a filter on my boosted car because i didnt have anywhere else good to run it

i say fuck the intakes
i currently will only run stock airboxes with k and n drop ins
if you want better flow take out the silencer
i prefer a clean stock look, and those aftermarket intakes attract too much attention
keep it looking clean and stock and you got the upper hand in the long run
plus you wont hydro lock your motor and it will almost appear unmolested when you go to sell it and you will get way more money for it

Hi I got a obd2 head and just got a obd1 block b18b1. The head has a pcv on there and the block has the lil black box. Which one sholud i run and delete? Or can i just run both?I'm stuck with theory. Plus i have an ek hatchback.

Back