PDN / LS rods for D series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

radnulb

LS rods are the same length as 1.6L D series.
LS rods share the same rod journal diameter as 1.6L D series, meaning they will fit on the crank without a huge fuss (they need to be machined slightly to narrow them)
LS rods have a 19mm wrist pin versus 17mm for most of the d-series
PDN (USDM 98-01 GX natural gas civic) pistons also use the 19mm wrist pin.

What I'm wondering is whether anyone has actually used this combination instead of using the Crower wrist pin bushing kit ($45 or so)?

According to the D series compression calculator http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

PDN pistons in a ZC motor with a ZC head will net about 9.6:1 compression, accounting for the 0.5mm increase in compression height. If this is the case, I do indeed know what is going in my ZC when the LS gets its rods+pistons...

Thoughts?

It will not let me calculate the compression with the GX pistons, but I have been told that they have extremly high compression domes, although I have never seen one I would assume it would net a higher compression than 9.6:1. If that is all the compression you are going to squeeze out of them it is not worth all the trouble. I would look into DOHC ZC pistons or 88-89 D16A1 pistons, that I believe came out of a USDM 1.6l DOHC integra, you will be pulling something like 12:1 compression with that though so pump gas might me kinda tricky.
What block do you have? What head are you planning on using? A d16a6 with a y8 head and PM3 pistons suposedly makes 11:1 compression, that is way more streetable. Look into the option on that calculator and figure out something that works for you.

He's talking about the DOHC ZC head, so his compression would be in the low 9s. I don't know how thick a DOHC ZC head gasket is, but if it's the same as the D16A6, then your compression with the PDN pistons will only be 9.00:1.

I don't know of anyone who has tried the combination, but it should work. You might try over on D-Series.org and see if anyone over there is running that setup. I was actually thinking of using the piston/rod combination in a D16Y8 block. I would get 12.0:1 compression and a stronger rod setup, while still being able to run quieter cast pistons. It would have been a nice combination.

On a side note- using PM3 pistons in a D16 block would have the pistons sticking up .5mm above the deck. That may or may not cause the pistons to make contact with the combustion chamber surface... and that would be a very bad thing. If it does clear (doubt it), you would have 12.46:1 compression with a Z6 head and gasket.

I am intending the LS/PDN combo to be used in a turbocharged ZC where 9.6:1 would be puuuuurrrfect.

Back