People stealing your stuff at work - advice needed.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Obviously, etching your name does no good if they remove it from the building and you can't find it to point out the hidden initials. They won't steal it and put it in their office if all the chairs are alike except yours. As for the rubber bands, if they are determined to steal your chair, a few rubber bands aren't going to stop them. What is really important here is to think about the natural inhibitors to theft that already exist. First of all, if they were going to steal it during business hours, they would have to worry about co-workers spotting them. If they were planning on doing it after hours, they would have to be high up enough to have access to the building. The size of the office is directly proportionate to how difficult it will be. If they would have to roll it past 40 cubicles, take the elevator, and sign out with the security guard at the front desk, you have nothing to worry about. If it's a small office, and virtually everyone has after hours access, all it would take is the building code, a key, and a van/truck/suv. So your main suspects would be people who drive these types of vehichles. Perhaps alarm companies have records of times/code entries, as well, so that in the case of a theft they could be consulted to review all after hours accessing of the building. This would be particularly convenient if each person has a unique disarm code. On the other hand, if it is a small office and you've pissed everyone there off, there is the possibilty that they would conspire against you, and you would probably deserve it. But, you probably don't if someone deemed you worthy of a free leather chair. And if it did actually go missing, I would tell your manager and let him sort it out. Company theft is no joke, and I'm sure he could intimidate them into bringing it back/confessing with the right kinds of (subtle) threats. Sounds like you are worrying too much, though, if the company is very big. If you really are that sure it will disappear, steal it yourself and then come in one morning and act pissed as all hell, "Where the fuck is my chair?!!!! It was totally here on monday!!!!" And then watch and see how many of your coworkers come to you in confidence and point out to you who they think is the company thief. Watch mankind at his worst. Or, if it went missing, you could hire all of your friends to come in all dressed out in CSI garb, making a very dramatic and announced entry. Have them come in with gear and cameras and everything and close the door and just chill with you for an hour and then leave, giving various people evil glares on their way out. Even better, have them ask who will voluntarily give up their fingerprints for analysis. GUARANTEE you, first person to volunteer: GUILTY. Or, wait it out and see if there is that one guy "No, I don't think so. I have constitutional rights. I want to call my lawyer." Then, HE is the guilty chair swiping bastard. See, aren't you actually looking forward to having your chair stolen now?:cool:

Last edited:
You took it way too far.

Put an incredible amount of tacs in the chair. So when they sit down they get poked hella. I mean hella.

I used to do this with my fork lift at lowe's. And when it was time for me to use it, I'd just put a hard piece of plastic down to sit on.

WTF? Forklift at Lowe's? What, did people try to steal it? Or did your coworkers just always have it when you wanted it?

You took it way too far.

Put an incredible amount of tacs in the chair. So when they sit down they get poked hella. I mean hella.

I used to do this with my fork lift at lowe's. And when it was time for me to use it, I'd just put a hard piece of plastic down to sit on.
could do that, but make it to where you can slip a piece of cardboard, with all the tacks in it facing up, in the chair when you aren't around. then when you are, you can still enjoy the chair. i dunno, if you have to sit on a piece of plastic, it kind of defeats the purpose of having the nice chair.

put sharp objects underneath the arms of the chair...so when they go to pick up the chair from the arms...it will stab them...then at least you will have a blood trail of who the thief is...and it will be a painful theft for their part...lol

just remove the bolts that hold the chair base to the seat. No one will steal a broken chair. And thieves don't want to go buy bolts at Home Depot to fix it.

Hmmm, iddn't catch the 6 months part the first time, but if its for that long I'd loan it to a friend in the office to use and watch over it. That, or take everyone esle's advice and do somethnig really painful and violent. You know, just in case your boss comes in to chill while you're gone, I'm sure he would appreciate that. :p

put sharp objects underneath the arms of the chair...so when they go to pick up the chair from the arms...it will stab them...then at least you will have a blood trail of who the thief is...and it will be a painful theft for their part...lol

Hahaha good idea.

I have a rough idea of who the potential culprits are . . .

Yeah, but the number of people high enough up to have a master key would be few, and those guys are probably not likely thiefs anyway. But the sharing a room with a few other people means it really could be anyone. So I would say get it the hell out of there, or give it to a mananger to keep watch over. Somebody might f with your stuff, but they'd be out of their mind to f with their boss. And of course your boss will like the whole "leather chair in his office" idea, no matter how you present it lol

get a life-size cardboard cut out of your self made, and duct tape Cashster (ala mythbuster's Buster) to the chair. He will watch over your chair for you while you're gone :)

Haha nice.

How about a cardboard cut out of a budwizer girl?

It's not a blow up doll. :rolleyes:

Cel posted a link of it in another thread. It was called "Real Doll" or something like that; life size, plastic dolls.

Back