People who know more than I....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECin5th

Administrator
okie dokie, so i work at an aluminum place.
We make Mag Flashlights, the little giant ladders, patio furniture, piping 44954395843 lil beds for the hurricane people this month etc etc.
I deal with all the raw end materials, and very rarely see any finished products.
That sentence was not relevant, what i am wondering is:
Is Aluminum the standard choice for IC piping?
Does anyone know a good OD and Wall spec for it?
I want to do some ... 'lookin around'
and see if we have a die already made, and i may be able to get some IC piping pressed out for ub3r cheap.
Is it typically expensive anyways?
Sorry i suck at google today :(
... was that a coincidence that the little giant ad was up top right after i posted this? :ph34r: :ph34r:
Google > *^*

aluminized steel is common... i dont know if running straight 6061-t6 or another 7076 style aluminum would be worth the cost. aluminum is far more expensive than steel...

Thanks, now I'm wondering if it would be preferred to use Aluminum tho?
I can press out 6061 or 6063, but I'm wondering if i got it cheap enough if people would actually want to buy it instead of steel?

alum. is light, plenty strong for a charge pipe, and doesn't need to be welded for chanrge pipe applications. t-bolt clamps are plenty fine for 99% of turbo users... welding is really only needed for 700 hp cars and up

I didn't know aluminum was a bitch to weld, our maintenance department welds aluminum bars to EVERY FUCKING THING in the building to keep it together.
But how much IC piping is needed in feet; for one car?
What Outer Diameter and wall thickness?
I was thinkin maybe 1/16th for the wall.. but OD i dunno?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 26 2005, 09:27 AM
alum. is light, plenty strong for a charge pipe, and doesn't need to be welded for chanrge pipe applications. t-bolt clamps are plenty fine for 99% of turbo users... welding is really only needed for 700 hp cars and up
[post=560436]Quoted post[/post]​

... (Thanks)

Originally posted by VTECin5th@Sep 26 2005, 07:27 AM
I didn't know aluminum was a bitch to weld, our maintenance department welds aluminum bars to EVERY FUCKING THING in the building to keep it together.
But how much IC piping is needed in feet; for one car?
What Outer Diameter and wall thickness?
I was thinkin maybe 1/16th for the wall.. but OD i dunno?
[post=560437]Quoted post[/post]​

it takes a lot of skill to weld aluminum properly.

And you can't just take a blanket measurement on "how much pipe" for a particular car. it depends on the car, turbo placement, intercooler size and placement, and intake manifold/throttle body.

welding alumn. is a bitch, because it doesn't glow red when it gets hot. so all of a sudden, you melt right through and scrap the pipe...

you can actually braize Aluminum, which is essentially closer to gluing it than welding it.

Hurricane victims get aluminum beds ? Hmm.. Interesting.

Yep, a company i only know as Reyes [possible government conspiracy thread coming] is asking for .5million lbs for this month.
It gets cut down into 20? inch sticks which are then used for cotts for shelters and such.
Not nice beds :)
I guess i shouldn't try to extrude IC pipes then :(

i think you should do it. aluminum is better than steel b/c of heat properties. as far as length goes, get some string, take some measurements, and get at least 10% more than you come up with.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 26 2005, 08:55 AM-->
welding alumn. is a bitch, because it doesn't glow red when it gets hot. so all of a sudden, you melt right through and scrap the pipe...
[post=560478]Quoted post[/post]​

Celerity
@Sep 26 2005, 08:56 AM
you can actually braize Aluminum, which is essentially closer to gluing it than welding it.

Hurricane victims get aluminum beds ? Hmm.. Interesting.
[post=560480]Quoted post[/post]​

tig welding is actually welding both base metals are meteld then a fille rod is added and if you blow through just fill weld it

I think B squashed the whole 'need to weld' IC piping anyways....
I work 3rd shift, so i have to wait until at least friday before i will see anyone to ask them about this shioot.

/post resurrection.
So i did do some 'talking' yesterday.
If i can find a die in the die shop, that is similar/exact size i can use it to produce the aluminum pipes.
I can choose to have it aged, or not, probly best to have it aged.
Anodization is also an option which would raise the price considerably, harden the metal even more, and would probly be a nice way to rack up money on spoiled kids who have to have gold IC piping.
Apparently our tube mill has problems with bending aged material, and we don't age bent material.
Awesome.
Fortunately there is a place we do deals with JW welding and steel, who im sure i can cut a deal with blah blah blah.
In the case i do need a die, it will be between $1800-2200 depending on specs/complexity.
I must run at least 2,000lbs per order.
For a 3inch (?) by 1/16th(?) wall pipe, that is a shitload of IC piping.
Not sure of a price until i can come up with the die sizes i need.
It's cheaper to have them run several long pipes, and cut them myself, or maybe contract JW to do it while they make the bends.
Can someone with an intercooler measure the wall thickness and the diameter of the piping please?
I understand they may vary, so i'm looking for a 'standard' size, if one exists.
thanks.

Quoted post[/post]]
2.5" OD and 1/16 would be fine, unless it's a 4-500 hp car, then maybe 2.75-3" OD.
:thumbsup:
thanks, i'll have to see what we have... laying around in the die shop.
Any idea on bends? 2 U bends and 12 feet of straight pipes? (broken down into smaller pieces of course)
Wow, this is goin to be weird, i need a turbo+IC.
:huh:

Back