Perfect engine for 95 CIVIC DX?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

roachstr0099

B18C (Japanese GSR BABY)
Im interested in a swap. I currently have only stock engine and wish to have more power for HAULING ASS yet trying not to make it TOO gas guzzling. Just general suggestions are welcomed. I was wondering if its worth powering it up. I love the style just no cruize control or power steering. NO RPM GAUGE! i bought it like this. BUT homeboy tried to do some stuff like shaved doors and intake system and a sway bar? wtf? I think i dont have shocks.....i feel everything man! any help fellas?

OH! and as some of you might find out. I know just a few things on modding like a B16 or B18 will fit in there...anythings better than getting smoked by a fucking FORD VAN!

whats your budget? get whatever b series swap you can afford to do. b18b or b20b will be the cheapest. b16a is fun because it has vtec, and a b18c is even better. also, jack the car up and figure out what kind of suspension you have. it could be just some cheap ebay coilovers that are making your ride so rough.

about 8 G's. thats the price of a decent car that might be more comfortable interior wise. I am a big fan of honda as a car manufacturer and in robotics. anyways i was wondering if puting that much money into it will be as efficient as a newer car of a lot. but dude the guy i bought it from put sounds (fucked up wiring but works) some tv's shaved doors,custom trunk,i think he replaced the fly wheel or something. ok back to swapping question. I got smoked by a ford van and wish to redeem myself with a powerfull engine. would you sudjest a b18c a? NICE! as for the suspension, i was just making fun. that car HAS to has something. i havnt checked yet but when i get home il take some pics of the engine and air intake n stuff like that. like i said, im wiitarted with name gear brands. ANOTHER problem is obtaining the engine and basicaly the work becaus i cant do it myself. il have to pay someone. that sux i dont have time for it. im in the gulf now and get off next week. im not gonna stay in town this time to find a mechanic. this all is for the step taking. im learning, thank you very much.

well for $8K you could look into a K-series swap as well. Its definitely more powerful then a B-series, but if you go with the B-series then you'll have more leftover for suspension and other upgrades.

As for where to get your engine, I got my engine locally, but alot of ppl seem to recommend hmotorsonline.com as well.

do some shopping around for engines... pw jdm is definitely not the cheapest. in my opinion your best bet is to get a gsr with lsd. its a pretty straightforward swap and good bang for the buck. plus if you want to go turbo later you can pretty easily get 300whp on the stock motor. you will want plenty extra money when doing the swap, because you will probably want to do other upgrades too... like clutch/flywheel, header, exhaust, intake manifold, brakes, suspension, etc, etc...

well for $8K you could look into a K-series swap as well. Its definitely more powerful then a B-series, but if you go with the B-series then you'll have more leftover for suspension and other upgrades.

As for where to get your engine, I got my engine locally, but alot of ppl seem to recommend hmotorsonline.com as well.
THANK YOU SENSEI! i will deeply consider this. ok. i think il go with a b series. theirs been the thing of OBDII and whatsa OEM? *hick voice* "Whats this doohiky do right here?"

do some shopping around for engines... pw jdm is definitely not the cheapest. in my opinion your best bet is to get a gsr with lsd. its a pretty straightforward swap and good bang for the buck. plus if you want to go turbo later you can pretty easily get 300whp on the stock motor. you will want plenty extra money when doing the swap, because you will probably want to do other upgrades too... like clutch/flywheel, header, exhaust, intake manifold, brakes, suspension, etc, etc...
whats the difference between jsr and lsd? vtech is the shit no? Id like that. yeah, i totaly would like to do it right so being shop consciense would be wise. ok. so il have to shop for an engine. dang, i shur wish i find the things i need. thax, il research!

Original Engine Manufacture (OEM)

JSR? Me no know

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

You sound very new to this.....My suggestion....get yourself a OBD1 (On Board Diagnostic 1) B18B swap (LS, RS, GS Integra motor, trans, axles, shift linkage, ECU, mounts) This will definitely slide right into your 95 DX with no problems. If you get a JDM swap (Japanese Domestic Motors) you will need to use the Engine Harness on your DX (but it will work well) because JDM are RHD (Right Hand Drive) and their engine harnesses are reversed.

I had the B18B swap for 10 years in a 92 hatchback. I pulled on 5.0 Mustangs (manual) with this set up (header intake Exhaust) and hit high 14's (with good launch, driving, etc)

Cool thing is you can investigate a Frankenstein set up (LS/VTEC) later and gain a good 60+ hp with that conversion (VTEC top end). But you will need to educate yourself much much more before that.

GSR swap is very nice and more power.....plus Variable Timing Electronic Control but roughly twice as expensive as a B18B and a few wire mods need to be done to run it in your DX (because your car isn't VTEC.......do not say VTECH....thats a cheap ass cordless phone)

Last edited:
I loved my gsr swap. The thing was factory docile and reliable around town, and it really did rip in the light eg chassis. I easily averaged 32-35 mpg (mostly highway) driving aggressively. It was then a great platform to bolt a supercharger onto. After owning a b16, b18c1 (jdm b18c), and b18c5, I can easily say the b18c1 offers the best gearing and power band for a quick DD.

Original Engine Manufacture (OEM)

JSR? Me no know

Limited Slip Differential (LSD)

You sound very new to this.....My suggestion....get yourself a OBD1 (On Board Diagnostic 1) B18B swap (LS, RS, GS Integra motor, trans, axles, shift linkage, ECU, mounts) This will definitely slide right into your 95 DX with no problems. If you get a JDM swap (Japanese Domestic Motors) you will need to use the Engine Harness on your DX (but it will work well) because JDM are RHD (Right Hand Drive) and their engine harnesses are reversed.

I had the B18B swap for 10 years in a 92 hatchback. I pulled on 5.0 Mustangs (manual) with this set up (header intake Exhaust) and hit high 14's (with good launch, driving, etc)

Cool thing is you can investigate a Frankenstein set up (LS/VTEC) later and gain a good 60+ hp with that conversion (VTEC top end). But you will need to educate yourself much much more before that.

GSR swap is very nice and more power.....plus Variable Timing Electronic Control but roughly twice as expensive as a B18B and a few wire mods need to be done to run it in your DX (because your car isn't VTEC.......do not say VTECH....thats a cheap ass cordless phone)
OhhhhMAN! *checked* Dam, I know i need education man. I dont know where to start. I mean im listening to all you guys and its helpfull as heck. you smoked a mustang? NICE! the van beat me. T_T I thought all this was gonna be VTEC? (i said it right) I dont want turbo tho. Id like to make my investment LAST you know?....so i can get a jdm engine cause im lucky they drive right handed too? NICE! So whats a GSR? thanx @CARFROG u.r.cool.

I loved my gsr swap. The thing was factory docile and reliable around town, and it really did rip in the light eg chassis. I easily averaged 32-35 mpg (mostly highway) driving aggressively. It was then a great platform to bolt a supercharger onto. After owning a b16, b18c1 (jdm b18c), and b18c5, I can easily say the b18c1 offers the best gearing and power band for a quick DD.
THANK YOU@ 99SIDUDE! b18 Series- GOT IT......vtec?

Thats the cream of the crop for B series motors. JDM 98+ Spec Type R

Its a tad expensive too. That swap should be about $4200-4300 or maybe less depending on your hook ups (or lack there of) Don't go to passwordjdm....they prey on Honda enthusiasts that want JDM....Yo! And Since this is your first swap.....OBD2 is just a little more complicated addition to your swapping experience. You would have to run a chipped ECU and would have to track down a US OBD2 VTEC Engine Harness out of an Integra......or use your DX engine harness (which I recommend) and either solder the OBD2 Distributor, Alternator, Injectors because their clips are different. Or still use your harness.....run OBD1 (B16 or GSR) Distributor, Alternator, and injectors,. This is all in addition to still needing to run VTEC to the ECU

As you can see....OBD2 swaps take more knowledge but not impossible.

A GSR? Thats a Integra with a dual over head camshaft configuration with VTEC. B18C1 in the states

If you have the cash....do a OBD1 GSR complete swap. Like 99sidude says.....its nice.

That swap will cost you $3000-3300 plus shipping

You cannot use the RHD harness....Japan is right hand drive and we are left hand drive....the engine harnesses are complete opposites and the only thing the JDM harness will be good for is the use of the clips for VTEC, Knock Sensor, and the Secondary Butterflies on the intake manifold. You'll use those clips.....extend off them with your own wire....and then connect it to the ECU (if you get to this point.....I'll fill you in more)

Check our hmotorsonline.com. They are out of So-Cal and sell quality swaps at a decent price. Or Toronto JDM (they're a vendor on this site)

keep it D.. go d16z6 built boosted and go make 380whp on a DD with a good tune of course.. and have money left over..

Dont think he had the experience or the knowledge to perform such a delicate (and yes I said delicate lol) Engine build.

IMO 380 wheel horse power out of a boost built D16Z6 is pretty dang hard to keep a Daily Driver. 350+ in any Honda is a handful on the streets

seriously... just get a gsr swap. a built turboed single cam can make power, but for a noob its not the best plan.

Back