1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHOTOS: Occupy Wall Street

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by Cashizslick, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

So Today I had to be in the Financial district near where the occupy wall street protest is going on, so I figured I'd take a look. Now, I have lived in Nyc for a fair amount of time and had no idea there even was a protest until I read about them on the internet. There has been very little spill over into other areas of manhattan, aside from their times square march and their initial confrontation with police on the bridge where 700 people were arrested.

Ok now for the photos.

The protests are completely contained to Zuccotti Park, which you can see in its entirety in the photo below, courtesy of wikipedia. The Park is 33,000 square feet. Here is what it looks like empty:

[​IMG]

Here is a photo of the park completely packed back in Mid September when things started (also from wikipedia):

[​IMG]

I took the following photos earlier today when I was in the area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There appeared to be people sleeping under some of the tarps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, there area lot of tents and tarps all over the place. The park isnt that big, and I did not see many people marching around or causing mayhem. With all the tarps and luggage brought in by the protesters, there isnt much room for newcomers about and most of the camp-out spaces appeared "taken".

This isnt a massive sea of people standing shoulder to shoulder covering every square inch of the park, its more like a makeshift tent city, with people lounging about, sleeping, or taking turns holding signs on the north end of the park. The northern end of the park was the only place where I saw tv cameras and reporters.. as well as 4 hot-dog venders.

There was a visible police presence, and things seemed pretty orderly. The entire park had police barricades surrounding it and the streets nearby the park were moderately clean my nyc standards.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

hmm there are about 75-100 folks on the worcester commons up here over the weekend. i didnt take this photo but i do recognize some of the folks.

[​IMG]

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Got your message earlier... i have crappy reception at my house.

no porta potties? where do people piss and poop?

4. TurboMirage

5. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

so how exactly is this a protest???
    it looks like its just a bunch of whiny hipsters loitering and engaging in a little urban camping

6. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

It doesn't look that big either. I think the media has glorified this a little bit. There was an occupy Akron and under 50 showed up...

7. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

I heard an interview with a local business owner in New York that has had to deal with people trying to shower in her stores bathroom. She said the only people that come into her store now want to use the can or charge their cameras, phones and laptops. It has forced all of her usual patrons away because they don't want to deal with the mess. I guess they are really sticking it to the rich.

8. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

This whole thing is a sham for hipsters.

GO THE FUCK HOME

9. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

The fuck were they occupying? The damn ghetto? No offence Byron, but damn, Akron is small time and full of crippled industry. I know. I drive a bus through there.

10. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

There were about 15-20 people standing near an intersection at the boardwalk in Coos Bay last Saturday afternoon.

Coos Fucking Bay

I wanted to roll down my window and slap them as I drove by screaming YOU AREN'T HELPING.

11. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

:werd: Place is a shit hole, didnt even hear about the "protest" :dunno:

12. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Every business there with anything from a sink to stalls should start charging those miscreants $10 for fifteen minute blocks to use their facilities.

13. TurboMirage

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted