Physics....Black holes and time travels....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm glad to see I got some brain cells moving... :)

LOL I think these scientists need to get over themselves. Yea you can travel through time in theory yet there's no possible way to prove it because we'll never be able to create something that allows us to travel at the speed of light because our bodies probably couldn't handle it anyway and even if we moved that fast it would be nothing more than comparing a bone stock 1970 honda civic to a jet-powered rocket car at the track.

Last edited:
black holes DO exist, its not science fiction and it has nothing to do with either the end of a universe or alternate dimensions. theres something like 10 different spatial dimensions and 1 time dimension.

a black hole is simple a dead supermassive star that has collapsed under its own gravity. our own star is relatively small in the astronomical sense and will just swell and explode at the end of its life. a black hole doesnt have infinite density just REALLY fucking high density.

in all actuality, our sun could cause a blackhole, some theories of black holes is that the stars exploded then resulted in a blackhole.
think of it like this, the best example i can come up with:
in the movies and shit when a nuclear bomb (or other overly powerful explosion) happens, the explosion moves outward, away from the initial explosion.
then after the force has spread as far as it can, it results in the energy reversing back towards point of detonation.

thats the point in which the black hole would actually form. the energy from the explosion would come back in and complete the formation of the dense matter and result in a black hole.

so in other words a black hole really isnt a hole at all it just a big black mass ?

yep. the gravity is so strong from the density of the matter that nothing can escape it. if you were to enter a black hole, you would be crushed to about the size of an atom.

That's the world of mathematics.
The universe started from one finite point, with finite amounts of mass and energy. I don't think there's a testable equation that can make something go from finite mass and energy to infinite.

my question is, if the universe started from one finite point, whats around the universe?

LOL I think these scientists need to get over themselves. Yea you can travel through time in theory yet there's no possible way to prove it because we'll never be able to create something that allows us to travel at the speed of light because our bodies probably couldn't handle it anyway and even if we moved that fast it would be nothing more than comparing a bone stock 1970 honda civic to a jet-powered rocket car at the track.

That explains it.

Awesome topic.

Surprisingly, I understand everything. Last time I really looked into physics was like 3 years ago. There's also a video somewhere(I think it was on the internet...could've been tv) that explains Einstein's findings, time, and space travel.

your ignorance is astounding. its obvious you cant grasp these concepts, but that doesnt make them not true. and like i said, they DID prove that time dilation occurs.

in all actuality, our sun could cause a blackhole, some theories of black holes is that the stars exploded then resulted in a blackhole.
think of it like this, the best example i can come up with:
in the movies and shit when a nuclear bomb (or other overly powerful explosion) happens, the explosion moves outward, away from the initial explosion.
then after the force has spread as far as it can, it results in the energy reversing back towards point of detonation.

well thats a movie lol. the fact is, when our sun starts to die it will swell (likely swallowing the inner planets) then explode leaving behind a red or white (cant remeber which) dwarf. it doesnt have enough gravity to implode upon itself. the stars that turn into black holes are MUCH bigger than ours.

Last edited:

First misconception:

"we'll never be able to create something that allows us to travel at the speed of light"

Einstein NEVER said it was impossible to travel at or faster than the speed of light. Relativity states that as you reach the speed of light, your mass becomes infinite. Therefore by simple use of E=MC2, it would require infinite energy to move that object.

The infinite energy requirement is what's impossible, not the speed.

The trick to moving at lightspeed or beyond is to reduce your mass to zero. How's that done? Simple. Your acceleration needs to act upon the space around you, not the craft itself. A "bubble" would encompass the ship, and the acceleration would act upon this bubble. The craft itself, relative to the bubble, would not move.

Acceleration in this fashion would most likely be done by "warping" the space in front of the craft. Stretch out a piece of cloth and put a marble on it. Press your finger on the cloth in front of the marble and trace it around. The marble follows your finger. Same basic concept, different type of fabric.

Another neat advantage to this type of propulsion is, since the craft is not moving, time dilation would not occur.

Alcubierre drive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems Star Trek wasn't too far off :ph34r:

my question is, if the universe started from one finite point, whats around the universe?

M-Theory touches on this. However we're a LONG way from learning about what exists outside of our universe.

Maybe we're an electron in an atom that's part of somebody's blood and that person's on an electron and... whoa...

:bonghit:

There are some intellectuals on this board. That is so.

At that. I'm a business guy, but I'm definitely in the physics dept too often. I'm actually in lab now.

About two class sessions ago, we just started touching on Energy and the destruction of matter in black holes, so this stuff comes at a great time.

M-Theory touches on this. However we're a LONG way from learning about what exists outside of our universe.

Maybe we're an electron in an atom that's part of somebody's blood and that person's on an electron and... whoa...

:bonghit:

haha, yeah, im always thinking along those lines too. its just really incomprehensible.

now what does anybody here know about dark matter? all i know is that its what making the universe constantly expand. my theory is that the universe is in a sea of dark matter, whatever it may be, and is slowly drifting apart as we float in it

Sorry I'm late to the party,

Blackholes and shit are nice. Yale talked to me about being a futurist before the fired my ass last week.

Yeah, I got fired. Liberal weenies. Anyway, since I've been fired I've been hitting the streets hard to get back into work, as I have this mortgage now and a metric buttload of responsibilities. To date, I've come up with the following plan:

Get part time job at a workbench, fixing PCs: DONE
Get another of this same work, at another company: IN PROGRESS
Haunt the Yale campus and steal work from their IT Department: IN PROGRESS
Buy a dune buggy: ALWAYS IN PROGRESS
Teach Quantum Physics classes and Windows Vista classes at community college: IN PROGRESS / MOSTLY DONE *

* (This list is NOT fictional)

So I apologize for missing the first bits of the topic, and I've already forgotten the specific questions phrased by Clayton. So I'll just ramble: (I'm already good at this professor thing)

Black Holes are theoretical. There are observed "things" in our universe that lots of people say "Look! A blackhole!". But I have no confidence, because lots of these so called experts think that a blackhole looks like this:
blackhole_44.gif

That is wholly wrong.

The "Black Hole" was so called and originally drawn out to resemble the cone to demonstrate the effects of time and space were Gravity to grow, unchecked. The resulting GRAPH is a funnel. From there, some artistic scientist decided to theorize that perhaps by allowing both time and space to move along the plot, but reverse the effect of Gravity, that he could also open that "hole" on another side, thus giving birth to the modern idea of wormholes. That scientist went on to have that graph airbrushed on the side of a really bitchin' Van, and thus ended it's contribution to pure science.

Luckily, people started catching on, and now more reasonable scientists have finally force-fed a modern interpretation of a blackhole on it's soft brain - Behold:
Black_Hole_Milkyway.jpg

Now we're talkin. But even that picture isn't quite right, because of the funny effects that black holes have on, everything, is not taken into account. When an object (From the Bottom Quark to the Photon (Light matter) and from the Atom to Rosie O'Donnell, and everything in between that we call "dark matter") approaches the schwarzschild radius it will begin to peel away it's very composition as an onion getting peeled. Frequencies and particles strip away from it and speed up at different rates into the singularity, giving us Gamma shifts, visible ray "Blue" and "Red Shifts" and finally time slows down to the observer and Rosie O'Donnell appears to us to simply hover there at the radius . Other items come close to her and add their own particles, red shifts and time pauses and shit clings to it like a sock from the drier.

It begins to look like this:

CircinusGalaxyBlackHole.jpg

Now this is good, but it's not accurate. What that is a picture of is actually the Circinus Galaxy as seen through non-visible spectrums from Hubble. I can't show you a picture of a blackhole, because what a blackhole truly IS is not something that really registers to the eye. It's like me showing you a picture of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons"

The Black Hole is a theoretical experiment that has close matches in the universe. Whether or not it truly exists is still to be found out. I'll get question #2 and start another post.

haha, yeah, im always thinking along those lines too. its just really incomprehensible.

now what does anybody here know about dark matter? all i know is that its what making the universe constantly expand. my theory is that the universe is in a sea of dark matter, whatever it may be, and is slowly drifting apart as we float in it

Our understanding of the universe, to date, is in our perception of things that glow. Stars. Everything that isn't a star is dark matter. Basically, Dark Matter is anything that isn't a photon.

BUT there is more to this question than that little answer can provide. The REAL question is that our known models of revolving objects (IE The Galaxy) simply can't hold together on it's own. To do so requires something that has Gravity. There is no known object at the center of this or any galaxy that has that much gravity. So instead, Dark Matter Theory allows us to consider "Dark Matter" as the stuff that holds the universe together.

Photons as a quantum particle has gravity, until it is observed, then it becomes something else completely (With no gravity). Which by the way, is just how fragile the definition of a black hole is.

A word on Infinity:

The universe is infinite. I'm sorry to say this, but yes, it's true. At the edge of an "expanding universe" you will find a border, and beyond that has to be something. Be it nothing or be it cottage cheese.

However, that reasoning alone allows us to prove that if there is infinite LARGE, then there is Infinite SMALL. And here is where it starts to break down: If the universe is infinitely Large, and we are somewhere between an atom and Rosie O'Donnell, but where that "is" on a line of infinity is infinitely insignificant. That means that we, like the term "almost infinite" are complete bullshit, and our existence is infinitely insignificant. We almost don't exist.

i forgot to take into account spinning, and rethinking over what i said before, and if the universe were in a "sea" of black matter, objects(galaxies ect) would not simply just float outward, but would float more at random and rather then expand steadily, the expansion would be random. soooo, i take back what i said before:)

"Can we make a black hole in a lab"

Yes, given that the lab is large enough and that enough power is generated . However, on the sugar side of the wheatie is our vague understanding of what the fuck a black hole is, and on the wheat side of it a black hole the size of a pin head is enough to suck the planet into it. Any observed black hole is enough to end life on earth, because to be a black hole, it must be stable.

And what people are talking about creating in the lab is not stable.

That said, I'm happy to announce to you that what people are creating in the lab IS - Get ready for it - The beginnings of a wormhole !

Lucky for us, the thought of a Wormhole stuck, and it's science is being progressed better (More accurately) by Stargate than any comparison to a black hole . The idea that two points in space can be brought together without any distance travelled (Particle distance) is valid for conversation, and perhaps even in the labs of the future.

Wormholes, again, are named by how they look on a graph. IT's not really a forward momentum, flashy CGI and the pop out from the other side by surprise. It's basically Teleportation. Recently in a lab (I forget where) they were able to observe light in one side of a tank of plasma before the light supposedly left the beginning of it. Now we have real science.

Faster than Light travel is not possible. But it is possible to get from point a to point b faster than light. Confused yet ? Get used to it, Quantum Physics is full of this stuff.

Warp travel. Yes, I said it. Warp Travel. To date, true science has gotten a glimpse into warp travel, and believe it or not .... we can almost do it. Aurora has a nose cone that shoots microwaves into the air at the nosecone to disturb it and change it's "consistency" so that it provides less friction on the fusilage.

Warp travel is much like this. "In the FUTURE! " you will be able to fly forward at a decent clip (Say, 1/500,000th the speed of light) and you'll be hitting the rare particles in space (dust, bits of stars, lost sunglasses) that your ship will actually be fighting friction. Friction, in space ! At a high enough velocity, there are bits of "dark matter" that can make a dent on anything. Imagine getting a nose cone of a ship so fast that it starts to hit Bosons.

At this point, you can't really approach the speed of light . But by applying a field in front of the ship (The length of your usual distance from the Sun to Saturn) you may be able to push "dark matter" out of the way to allow a "slippery" ride through. By changing what we understand is a perfect vacuum... to a perfect motherfucking vacuum, we will be warping space. We are surprisingly close to this.

Also, There are experiments on wave / particle concentrators (Envision a gun that fires neutrinos) that could possibly travel to another location FOR US, then expand to push (warp) space out of the way, we can simply pass through it's event horizon, and be at point B. It may take months of precise firing of that neutrino gun to get there (If it takes a Neutrino-month to get from here to say, Fomalhaut). Then you can stay here and plan a month's trip to Fomalhaut. When the tunnel is ready, a timer goes off and it's done.

Now, applying these methods over one another will lead to warp factors. In the forward momentum model, once you push photons out of the way, leptons and bosons, then quarks and even time / gravity particles (Which are beyond theoretical at this time) you can slip through space in "subspace" or "I'm going to go to 8 stars out, but to do so I'm going to forget I ever existed, then remember that I existed, but at the destination, so last one there is a rotten idea". Quantum physics can allow for this movement.

Back