Picked up a little something

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Americans want full blown cruiser or super sport. Nothing in the middle.

Sadly, I guess I fall into this category. I don't care for the almost super sport bikes. Ideal every day bikes for me are either a CBR600RR or a Softail. If they made a 74ci softail, it'd be my favorite. I'm pretty happy with my Sportster and my Cafe project.

Sadly, I guess I fall into this category. I don't care for the almost super sport bikes. Ideal every day bikes for me are either a CBR600RR or a Softail. If they made a 74ci softail, it'd be my favorite. I'm pretty happy with my Sportster and my Cafe project.

Don't worry, you are just like the other 90% of Americans.

I've had full blown super sport bikes for 10+ years, last year picked up my beater 919 and ever since I've been kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Low 11 to high 10s in a straight line from the factory, able to keep up with most any bike on the backroads and is comfy both 1 up and 2 up riding and many people have managed 100k + miles out of them with nothing more the tires, plugs, chains, oil. And dirt cheap. Win win all around.

I like my 60 square feet of fairing, and twin headlights though.

Thanks for the link Jeff. I'll stop in.

Had 1st close call yesterday. I came into a "15 mph" uphill S turn (2 90 degree bends). The first bend was a beautiful right hander, and I carried a good line and a decent bit of speed. The next left turn was pure gravel in my lane. I had to jump on the brake and cut the corner short to avoid the gravel. Of course a car was in the oncoming lane ahead. It wasn't all that close, but it spooked me.

If the car had been closer, I would have been forced through the gravel, and would have dumped for sure.

You might not have dumped it if you hit the gravel.

Always better to avoid but shit does happen. I've had my share of fun times. =) Main thing is learning to trust your bike, your bike can do damn near anything you want it to, sadly the rider can't.

I'm starting to get a little more comfortable in gravel. Girlfriends road has a lot of it, and I was heading down it the other day and I was making a right, and I started to feel the back end bust loose in the turn. Held together very nicely, but it definitely woke me up.

I was down around Logan shooting today and the amazing roads down there reeeeally made me miss the Gixxer. :(

I was down around Logan shooting today and the amazing roads down there reeeeally made me miss the Gixxer. :(

Sweet! Yesterday I went on a 350 mile ride through southeast OH. Rode the infamous "Triple Nickel" - SR 555. It was awesome. I'm going to get the OEM wind screen for it. The wind blast at 80mph gets old.

I ride stickily backroads so it's never been an issue for me. Post up pics once it's installed. Some look ok some look like total crap.

Still no windscreen:( I can't order the Honda Accessory one because it's been discontinued in the US. Right now I'm going to hold off. Recently I've been doing lots of back road riding, so the wind isn't as much as an issue. I'm sure I'll order one right after the next long road trip...

Right now I'm saving up for a new set of tires and chain. Anyone have a positive experience with the dual compound tires? The commuting I do just puts nasty flat spots in the tires.

Having fun pulling the front up yet? Bike loves first gear wheelies, 2nd gear is damn near impossible unless you clutch it up. Something I don't like doing so no 2nd gear wheelies for me.

First gear, get it anywhere over 4K RPM than just wack the throttle open, comes up easily, very easy to control too. My GSX-R will throw you off the back or spin up the rear wheel if you mishandle the throttle, the 919 will take it like a whore that never talks back.

I havn't yet gotten the balls to try extended wheelies on the bike. WOT in 1st gear usually lifts the tire a little even if I'm leaning foward all the way.

I havn't yet gotten the balls to try extended wheelies on the bike. WOT in 1st gear usually lifts the tire a little even if I'm leaning foward all the way.

1st gear for me pretty much just uncompresses the front forks, I don't think I've ever had any lift while WOT on the 919 although I know how to roll into the throttle maybe you're coming onto it too hard?

Back