Picked Up my new B16 today

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well after blowing my old project motor " Turbo ZC " I went to a JDM importer thats down the road from me and picked up my B16 yesterday. I got a OBD1 " Cable trans " With a YS1 "LSD" Trans the motor came out of a Integra XS-i. How do I know. Well there's alittle serial number under the world B16A. If thats number starts with a 1 you have a integra motor if it starts with a 5 you have a civic motor. So all you wanna be's going around saying you have a XS-i motor please check cause I've broken alot of hearts from people I've met at the races who say the people or persons who sold them their motor told them it was a integra then I look at the number and prove them wrong. Why " LSD " well since they didn't get the Gen. B16 I wanted I got a newer gen. B16 for about the same price. Plus I've always came threw with what I told him so he was nice enough to cut me a break . I'm going to be running the OBD1 motor as a OBD0 motor in my EF for awhile while I'm building up my LS bottom end as we speak. Once I finally convert it over to LS/VTec I will then re-wire it to OBD1 set-up. Since I do $100 ALL my own work I'll have pic.'s up of the motor and install VERY soon. Now here's alittle "BAD" news for al those trying or saving up for B16's. The owner of the shop told me that they are starting to become hard to get the OBD0 and OBD1 B16's. He said the reason being is that alot of people in the USA and Asia are buying them up left and right and they're becoming a "HOT" itme which is bad for the consumer because that usually means that the price for them will go up the harder they are to get. Also you can find them in alot of places on the internet but Alot of places get good reputations and then everyone gets the same motor from one place. Just do good research when you go to buy your motor about who you get it from. There's alot of places that sell B16's at a cheap price but the motor quality usually sucks.

Mine starts with a 1 and it's an 89 model motor per the head stamp. Wanna explain that one to your "rule" of 1 and 5 million serials?

I don't think First Gen Integra's got the B16a.

This is not my Rule this is what I've read on VTec related sites and swap info sites. All B16's have a serial number under the word B16 from what I have heard and read on ALOT of reputable site I belive even place racing says this that if the serial number starts with a 1 it's a integra and if it's a 5 it's a civic. VTec was brought out by Honda in 1989 so and since cars come out a year before ( i.e. 2000 model civics come out in 1999 ) it very well could be out of a 90' integra. Really unless you actually see in person. If you go onto any VTec related site that tells you how to identify a B16 I'm sure they'll say the same thing. About how I blew my motor. The rocker arm nut that is basicly how you adjust your valve cam loos and fell off which then cause the retainer clip to break causing the valve to drop into the cyclinder putting a whole in my piston and blowing the whole motor. IT was a sit to see. I have pic.'s if you want them just e-mail me.

Back