pickeed up a new turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

PHOBIA

im new to turbo's .i understand how they work and so on.yesterday i pulled a turbo off of a ford thunderbird.the only problem i see so far is there is way to many lines coming off of it.there are about 3 oil lines and other misc,lines that i had to cut or break off to get the fucker out.im asumming its a t4 because of the 4 bolt pattern.what do i do about all these lines.there are 2 big oil lines,i thought there was only one, oil line going from the tapped oil pan to the turbo.is one of these a drain line? if so were does it go?it just seems like there is way to many lines for this. shouldnt there just be one oil line and one coolant line then the intake side and exhaust.sorry about the lame question.ive been researchiong through www.homemadeturbo.com but i still couldnt ge any answers.

there has to be an oil FEED and oil return to allow oil flow...

if its a water cooled turbo then you also need a water FEED and return as well...

and there will prob be at least one vacuum line connected somewhere...

EDIT: and oil cannot go from the oil pan to the turbo, it needs to be fed from the back of the block and then the return goes back into the oil pan...

and directly from the "TURBO INFORMATION" section on this site...

from the junkyard turbo list, aka stock turbo cars list...

FORD T-Bird 85-86 2.3L (auto) GAR (AiR) TB0344 (45 trim oil only)

FORD T-Bird 85-86 2.3L (Manual) GAR (AiR) TB03 60 trim (watercooled)

FORD T-Bird 87-88 (water) IHI RHB52

looks like 2 are water cooled and one is not... and i believe the first watercooled is a T3, but not sure...

ford thunderbirds use a straight t3 no way in hell is it a t4. lol

most OEM turbos are both oil lubed, and water cooled.

so there should be 4 lines:

oil feed/return
water feed/return

yeah i looked through the stock turbo info,except this was a newer thunderbird.like an early 90's .do i tap a line in the back going into the block for the oil? if so wich one for a b16a, is there a book i could buy or any thing around the web that has a complete how 2? from the look of it,there are 2 oil lines.a orange rubber hose and a metal hose thats ribbed.then there are 2 coolant lines,i see those.but its all the vacume lines that scare me.aside from the auctual turbo itself.there is an elbow coming off of the intake side "for tubing to the filter" it has 3 vacume line and then there are a few more near the exhaust side.should i just block them off and not worry about it?im sorry if i sound like a complete moron but i need some help.

The early 90's coupes were supercharged, not turboed.

Back