1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

picket lines

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by TurboMirage, Mar 5, 2006.

1. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i know what a picket line is, but i dont get the whole crossing it thing.

please explain :)

2. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

if your not planning to keep the job you want to cross over for...it is very advised to not cross....

The rest of the guys that stuck it out will call you a scab, not talk to you at work, will try everything to make your career at that company turn to trash....and sometimes...they can get violent.

3. Harms Way

Harms Way Senior Member

:werd:

Basically, when you're picketing, you are there protesting something against the company you work for with the people you work with. So if you "cross the line," you are seen as not supporting fellow workers on the strike, therefore being for "the man."

4. TurboMirage

thats so dumb.

in the IT world, if i dont like something, i put out offers and away i go :)

5. ep3moschini

ep3moschini I R T3H NO00Bz!

I just go solo. . . comando. . . and kill everyone. . . :ph34r: Because im crazy!

6. TurboMirage

7. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

story I heard at Sik,

the last strike, one guy crossed the line..actually...many did...but this one guy was a mechanic...and when they got back to work..they made his life a living hell...

When he got on an aircraft with others to work...they all left the aircraft...so he had to work by himself, nobody talked to him for years....just as he was about a month away from retiring...somebody slip a tool on his person, and he walked thru the gate...that someone called security...they found the tool...and he got fired...no pension...no bennifits, no nothing...

I could cross the line..because I'm not planning on staying here forever...and by the time I do retire, I'll be in Japan or Thailand...but...for now....I got to stick together with the others...and hopefully things will turn out good...but I doubt it. Now all the boss's that has driven thru the gates everyday, has seen all the picketers, and have been verbally threatend, and assualted, slured at, and crap trown at them...and they will remeber. I still haven't went to go picket, because standing in the middle of a road at 2am in the morning is really not going to do anything for me, except possibly get sick, or hit by a drunk driver.

So I'm going to start a swap on the Z tommorrow, and use the rest of the time to get things done at the house. Me and the wife are not hurting, unlike the other guys that I know. Plus once I get the sandblaster cranking out parts again, hopefully some money will trinkle in on that small investment. My taxes came back and with a return of over $5Ks...it will help things...and then there is the trip to Japan...I can go, I want to go, I can prolly afford to go....but I'm still not 100% sure if I will go. Because when we do get back to work, there will be unlimited OT, prolly for the rest of the year... :cry2:

8. BodyDroppedNikes

BodyDroppedNikes ...PENDEJO.... VIP

that shitty someone did that to that man who was going to retire. he was probably the hardest working man there.

9. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Sikorsky's last strike was about something very serious though. Manual labor in those days was treated shitty.

You could take a boat into work :)

10. tab

tab Super Moderator

Strikes only work if there is solidarity. My whole department has voted down our last two contracts. Unfortunately, three other departments don't believe that we can do better, or that medical coverage is worth fighting for.

A person has to be willing to make a stand, even if it hurts. Otherwise, many(not all) employers will push you backwards in pay and benefits. Four years ago, we had 100% coverage in medical with no copay on premiums. We(others collectively) bargained our way out of 15% of the premiums by not taking a stand. Next contract came, and our employer wants us to pay even more, and we do. We are actually paying more in medical each year than our cost of living increase gives us. We're going backwards.

Stand your ground Clayton, it's the only way.

11. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

Welcome to the rest of the world... Payscales at my company increase 0-5% a year. Insurance goes up 7-10% every year. Not to mention increase in cost of living...

In today's economy, people need to be happy they have jobs, they have insurance (even if it is a fucking joke... which it is)... I pay $110/week for my family.. Do you pay that much?

12. TurboMirage

as much as i HATE agreeing with you noah, you are right.

its really not that often small or even big companies will pay full healthcare anymore.

13. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

I would be happy if healthcare costs stayed where they are, or payscales increased to match... I wouldn't make any more money, but i would be able to afford it the same every year... :cry2:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted