picking u pthe new to me bike wednesday!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

well.......... best of luck

:shrug2:

This thread was shat upon relentlessly by a bunch of fools who dont' get it. And I don't understand what's so hard to get here.

It's not ready to ride ! Jesus tap-dancing christ, no $300 bike will be ready to ride. If you're looking for a small project (And yes, this will be an easy project) than you've found the PERFECT bike. New tires, some tank work, some lockhart plastics (oooo this bike with the mids.. very attractive). There are millions of people around who do this work for you - if you don't want to. A tank ? Buy a new tank, or have this one dipped and shot. What's the big deal ?

I bought my GPZ600 for $600 and $1200 later it's totally done. You can't get that level of cost-benefit anywhere else.

If you're looking for a project, get the bike. If you're looking for something ridable, never answer an ad for a sub $1000 bike. and $300 for what you see here is VERY worth it.

already looked into mids/lowers
vf5002%7E6.JPG

I may just go for the naked look

l_d89c06f9850a4403816d0b6ef36ee5de.jpg

random update pic, the fairings are all pulled minus the front guard. Everything is checking out pretty good, I'll be painting it myself and fixing the tank myself. The engine runs good, carbs checked out pretty good, no weird idle issues either or smoke.

Potential things to checkout a little more
Tires - will likely replace
Brake pads - replacing anyway fronts are low, rear has a lot of meat left
Brake rotors - rear looks a little grooved fronts seem fine, ill take a micrometer to them.
Brake Lines - I'll be bleeding them but no cracks or any significant signs of aging or stretching.
Gauge cluster - plastics are cracked a bit in the bottom center. Nothing that's going too bother me much.
Shocks - sounds like they are low on pressure hopefully only need charged or adjusted.
Throttle Cable - probably needs greased or checked for binding, sluggishly returns to closed, may be spring on the carbs though.

there's a lot to explain on the bike, needs some attention and adjustment and that it.

any suggestions on color?

So far I'm roughly $400 in with the transfer of title, gas to pickup, and lunch for my friend who went with me to put it in his truck. Plus the missing fairing/cover.

gunmetal. silver bikes are sick. or flat black.

gunmetal sounds pretty sweet now that i think about it. I was thinking a deep blue like the 2000si or yamahas blue. Pretty much its whatever i can find rattlecanned. I'll just clear coat it as well or find something that can resist gas a bit.

i would have gotten that color if it was out when i bought my bike.

i would have gotten that color if it was out when i bought my bike.
It's at least reflective and most of my long distance riding will be at night. So I'm veering away from darker colors. Heck if shit brown with green specs kept me from getting hit I'd rock it.

color doesnt matter.
you could be riding a bright as neon yellow glow in the dark bike with leds flashing in every direction.
if people arent paying attention and dont care, they arent going to see you.

and i want that r6.

color doesnt matter.
you could be riding a bright as neon yellow glow in the dark bike with leds flashing in every direction.
if people arent paying attention and dont care, they arent going to see you.

and i want that r6.

brighter more reflective colors help my odds. Even though it might not be much.

Last edited:
brighter more reflective colors help my odds. Even though it might not be much.
no, no they don't. you could be in a neon bike with neon strobe propellors.

people don't see your entire body and bike, the color doesn't matter.

no, no they don't. you could be in a neon bike with neon strobe propellors.

people don't see your entire body and bike, the color doesn't matter.
but a black bike with little lighted area will be slightly less visible.

I understand if they don't see me they wont see me, or if they are not paying attention. At a quick glance though its easier to recognize the neon pink against black than the dark gray against black. Of course reflective surfaces are only useful when light hits them.

i'm telling you dude, I have a bright red bike. people don't look over their shoulder and don't see bikes. when people are changing lanes is when you are in danger.

it's just that bikes are smaller than cars and people don't see them. paint it whatever color you want.

if bike color made a difference, you would know. and there would be a lot more brighter colored bikes.

I know exactly what you mean. The instances that they do see you, its usually too late or you would never notice because they actually reacted.. It's the same way with most cars I drive.

My GS500 was bright orange, yet the first day I had it out 3 people nearly hit me.
Some girl pulled right out in front of me causing me to lock up the brakes, then a some guy in a convertible mustang merged into my lane pushing me to the edge of the median, then some other guy that ran a stop sign. Having this stuff happened is pretty much regular and I have come to expect it. I just ride like people are out to kill me, while still keeping it legal.

I actually think that the brighter colors are more dangerous.
people see them and just keep staring and forget what they should be doing, like yielding to your right of way.

Who the hell gives a damn about color, step back and take it one step at a time, worry about color when you get to that point.

Since you're putting your life in the hands of that bike.

new tires
new brakes
new clutch, brakes, and throttle cables
rebuild the shocks
new chain
maybe new sprockets
new battery
check ever wiring and replace anything you might question.

This isn't a POS beater car where when it doesn't run it doesn't run and god forbids you might break down on the side of the road.

A bike can have minor issues that could cause a CRASH at 50+ mph

By the time you're done with everything you'll be in the hole for a good but of money, if you're into older bikes its very worth it, however if you want just a bike to ride around for fun, it's a lost cause.
once everything is done, then think about painting it, BTW if you think paint jobs are expensive for cars, get ready to shit yourself when you start pricing out bike painters.
If it was me, I'd buy all new plastics that are already painted/stickered from ronayers.com IF they still make them/sell them.

P.S never assume any color will help in anyway, at no point does ANYONE see you, always keep that mind set.

Last edited:
Who the hell gives a damn about color, step back and take it one step at a time, worry about color when you get to that point.

Since you're putting your life in the hands of that bike.

new tires
new brakes
new clutch, brakes, and throttle cables
rebuild the shocks
new chain
maybe new sprockets
new battery
check ever all wiring and replace anything you might question.

This isn't a POS beater car where when it doesn't run it doesn't run and god forbids you might break down on the side of the road.

A bike can have minor issues that could cause a CRASH at 50+ mph

By the time you're done with everything you'll be in the hole for a good but of money, if you're into older bikes its very worth it, however if you want just a bike to ride around for fun, it's a lost cause.

once everything is done, then think about painting it, BTW if you think paint jobs are expensive for cars, get ready to shit yourself when you start pricing out bike painters.

If it was me, I'd buy all new plastics that are already painted/stickered from ronayers.com IF they still make them/sell them.

so im assuming replacing the new battery(that came with the bike) with a new batter will do me good.

I AM THOROUGHLY GOING OVER EVERYTHING ON THE BIKE. Ill be going to the point of checking for important things. like cracks in the frame as well. wheel bearings, clutch, chain and sprockets. Do you replace your rotors everytime you do your brakes?
If the rotors are in within spec, not warped grooved, rusted, cracking, or anything i don't see any reason to replace them. The rear rotor is starting to get some grooving and I think the calipers need more attention than the rotors.

20-25 bucks of automotive cheap rattle can paint. i may very well end up painting it flat black if it doesn't hold up. pretty much everything you have listed there is just my short list of what I'm looking over. Some of it does need replaced. the electric wires look good overall but I have not pulled ALL the wires. the cluster has one bulb out that was burnt and that was all. i'm not making a show bike.

I may not have been around bikes my whole life, but on a bike traction and stability is #1 for me on a bike right up there with brakes. I have had about 1 day to work with it, due to family illness recently.

so im assuming replacing the new battery(that came with the bike) with a new batter will do me good.

I AM THOROUGHLY GOING OVER EVERYTHING ON THE BIKE. Ill be going to the point of checking for important things. like cracks in the frame as well. wheel bearings, clutch, chain and sprockets. Do you replace your rotors everytime you do your brakes?

Nope, they are a solid piece of metal and there's no reason to change them unless they're out of spec, in fact you should never replace rotors unless they're out of specs. That's a no brainer I never said rotors, just brakes. brakes = pads for sure, maybe lines, fluid is a must, and maybe a rebuilt kit for the master clys

I had an old GS650 it was a cool bike, in the end I parted it out since I found out for the same price of doing it right I could easily buy a used newer bike.

I'm on my 6th? bike, after spending a lot of time on the streets I'm VERY iffy on getting on anything that isn't 100%, older bikes take a lot of time and money to get back to that point.

If it were me and I did find any cracks in the frame, I'd part out with out thinking twice.

Last edited:
Back