picking u pthe new to me bike wednesday!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

If it were me and I did find any cracks in the frame, I'd part out with out thinking twice.
agreed with those cracks, i went over as much as i could with out taking a lot of crap off before buying it. I wont weld those unless I'm sure the frame is straight and I can do it right. That too I need gas for that, which I have yet to go out and get a tank for the mig.

Wait... the brakes have to be overhauled the carbs are shotty at best and the frame is cracked?

Bite the bullet and scrap it now.

TRUST ME!

you guys are a riot shitting all over this guys project
i'm pretty sure after 19 replies on page 1 he got the idea that safety is #1 concern

i'm in for the read on how this turns out

Wait... the brakes have to be overhauled the carbs are shotty at best and the frame is cracked?

Bite the bullet and scrap it now.

TRUST ME!

Frame is not cracked. I went over it this weekend. carbs are good, just occasionally has an idle that seems higher than normal. Brakes just need pads at this point and maybe a rear rotor.

you guys are a riot shitting all over this guys project
i'm pretty sure after 19 replies on page 1 he got the idea that safety is #1 concern

i'm in for the read on how this turns out

thanks

Had it out for a short run, engine is far from lacking power, clutch engages perfectly through all six gear without fairings and psuedo gas tank, the other one is need of serious repair. I know it may be easier to buy a new one, but i'm curious on how difficult on getting it fixed on my own.

also brake fluid will be drained and flushed once i get new pad on it, the fronts are low the rear has a lot of meat left, but its going anyway.

no picture updates yet. that will be next weekend when i get the parts i need in. Like tires and brakes.

I didnt take pics of the previous owners braising job on the tank. Probably the worse I have ever seen. but you will see the aftermath of everything i had to cut away.

Last edited:
yep. me too. i have to order parts tomorrow and I'll be going at it this weekend again.

hon-vf500f-spec.jpg

No more updates yet, but some general information on the bike.

Performs really well for 500cc's. :ph34r:

0-60 in 3.9, and mid 12's quarter

not bad for $300 huh?
yeah. but more importantly 500cc's. A sprocket change could drop those times even more. Which I'm considering doing, but I don't want to kill my top speed as well as my cruising rpm. If anything I want a lower rpm for cruising, and I really don't want to tear into the gearbox.

I expect it to not run that well though. I wanted a little more time on working on bikes before I jumped to 1000cc's.

I have the brakes most importantly coming in(as well as other bits) and the tires I forgot to get the rim dimensions and the old tire sizes, just in case they were swapped. So it may be an extra week before its ready to be taken in for inspection.

eBay Motors: NOS Honda VF500F Interceptor VF 500 Cobra F1 Mufflers (item 170310980262 end time Mar-20-09 09:53:02 PDT)

Maybe i should just part out the bike after all.. The exhaust is in excellent shape lol. Maybe not as pristine but still a great example.

I'm excited to get able to go back to working on this thing.. I know by 3pm I'll be back over to work on it. Basically waiting on parts, but in the meantime, tank repair from rust, and prepping stuff for cheapo paint, while i wait for parts to still come in:confused:.

Anyone know of a place online that would sell the timing chain for this bike? Trying avoid stealerships, even though its just one thing I may need to go get from there.

Put out the cash for bike tires today. Should be coming in on the 31st. Checked the price around and about best I could do without getting tires that tend to hydroplane. I'm also waiting on the one side fairing from ebay still that i ordered the day I got the bike for like $12. Guy shipped it over a week after I paid for it and USPS said it was undeliverable.

Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Rear Tire Color - --, Size - 110/90H-18 $82.38
Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Front Tire Color - --, Size - 100/90H-16 $75.60
Total: $157.98
Shipping and handling was free.

$300 for the bike
about $70 for the title
$158 for the tires
$40 for brakes
$14 for the fairing. (USPS can't seem to deliver it)
I have a bunch of random work I did to it to freshen things up, like lubricating joints, making sure the calipers don't drag, checking for cracks, stess, or leaks in lines, and stripping the hell out of the tank with a wire wheel and coating the inside with a rust converter.
I'll have more to add later

so far about $582 in if you include title transfer.

Almost Legal for the lemons race if they allowed bikes. If they did I can take out the title and fairings for cost. and run it at $498. I don't think they nitpick about brake fluid, oil, and an oil filter.

I will get some pics of the stripped tank later and then me attempting a repair. I couldn't even touch it last weekend, a few events prohibited me from doing much of anything. I'll be shaping some metal probably the ghetto way and welding it in. Then I'll have to get some stuff to finish off the inside of the tank. The tanks on pretty much all VF's seem to have a habit of collecting water and rusting out.

Last edited:
This is what the tank looked like after I stripped mots of the paint off to find any leaks or holes. The braise job was horrid, I ended up cutting it out. This isn't the finished result, but with lack of tools and not wanting to form any metal

I welded plates with a flux core welder just behind the substantial openings. JB weld to assure a good second seal, just in case. After that i put Rust Mort in the tank to finish off any remaining rust inside the tank. I will be rinsing it thoroughly with water, also to test for leaks once again. Then adding dry gas / alcohol to evaporate the water to prevent rusting again.

Then bondo fiberglassing the ouside of the tank to smooth out any remaining dings.

I advise anyone to use extreme caution when welding gas tanks and take necessary steps to ensure your safety as well as others.. Any gas in a confined space igniting can and will cause a violent explosion.

n622220790_2855228_5739006.jpg

n622220790_2855241_3881362.jpg

n622220790_2855254_3813141.jpg

I do not have pictures of the finished product just yet.

Last edited:
why didn't you put water in and check for leaks instead of jb welding it?
i've never had luck with jb weld on gas applications
it always seeps

I ended up doing both. so far it's done pretty good, no leaks, let it sit overnight no problems.

JB weld was just over the really crappy weld seams since is used flux.

I did a bit more welding than what i have in the pictures of course. Had to turn the welder to its lowest setting and slowest wire speed, since it just blew holes in it otherwise.

lol, been there

how much is a new tank?

just looked on bikebandit and it seems to be 500 bucks
i would have fixed it too, lol

Last edited:
lmao wow. best I did so far was $300ish..

at 500 theres another VF500F thats actually on Ebay for not much more.

i was just reading about this bike yesterday actually
the interceptor
was the 500 a v twin?

V-4. With the aftermarket slip-ons it sounds awesome. There are variations of the engine in displacement, and the ones that had oiling issues were the 700cc+ ones before 1986.

There was a VTR250 or something of that nature that Honda made a V-Twin. It had a rear drum brake and an inboard front disk.

anyway
I has tires, and brakes. Side fairing came in yesterday. Either Thursday or Friday all this will be going on.
n622220790_2866203_5373464.jpg

Went ahead and painted everything Rust Oleum Gloss black since I had a can laying around. It's just temporary since the gas tank still needs to be smoothed out. It looks like crap, but at least its one color and not Red, White, Blue, and crackling paint. It also gives me an idea of where the uneven spots are since its now one color.

Friday most everything is going together and getting the final test. I'll probably have this on the road capable Saturday, legally. I still haven't scheduled an Inspection though.

Back