pics/illustration request: 4wd dc teg or eg/ek civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I like how it works personally and if it can hold how much people have been putting on it THATS MORE than enough for me im never going to have a 400 hp civic haha this thing has to get me through the rest of my collage and probably 2 years after so i can pay off my student loans so for me it would be an investment. but for some one who has to buy and pay for labor for everything then yes a subaru would be a more cost effective alternative but i love my car! making it awd would solve the only part i dont like

Most awd systems use the viscus coupleing for to control the slip and grip of the wheels this is just set up to disengage the rear when they are not being used so you can save on gas.Going to work on a dry summer day driving normally you dont need the rear wheels gripping however when you need them they are there its not designed to race however if one were racing the setup engages enough power to the rear wheels to prevent the front from burning out but you dont need 50 50 split thats more for offroad use most drag cars that are awd use the back to push the front from spinning but there usually not 50 50

Last edited:
What do you mean? Your modifying the stock carrier to accept clutch packs, or your machining your own LSD, and have to get the center (front/rear) clutch pack?

I used the wrong words. I dont mean be able to make live adjustments to the front/rear bias, but to be able to upgrade the center diff to improve front/rear bias.

basically I am in the process of machining a custom helical gear type lsd (quaife/oem type-r style) for the rear, and eliminating all of the stock realtime shift in/out internals (clutch pack, oil pumps, etc) and replacing them with a fulltime viscous clutch (like a subaru)

I'm currently waiting on parts for the center & rear diffs, but already have the trans, a few stock rear ends, shifter assembly, and a bunch of other misc stuff

the trans was originally from an 04 element, although it's currently sporting rsx-s gearsets and custom lsd

car is most likely going to be an ek hatch

I agree or any civic with any real time setup i saw the sol with the CRV however he dint have to do all that work but parts are scarce

UPDATED fuel tank info

I got a response back from the kid who did the coupe awd swap and he said you have 3 options
you Modify from a Mercedese 123
Mercedes_W123_1_v_sst.jpg

seres,
An audi 80
1990-92-Audi-80-92601051990002.jpg

or make your own OR he said the fuel cell option

Last edited:
Just finished my swap. I have built the all wheel drive system onto my EG6. I will have pics soon from the machine shop. The crv rear diff is crap. I blew that thing up the third day I had it there. I was advised against it but I had no Idea what to use next for a rear diff that would match a 5.33 gear drive ratio. I found through alot of diffrent sources and alot of research that the only tranny that comes with the gear drive ration that I need is from the old nissin rear diff's that the old subaru's impresa's and the Datsun 510 R160 rear end. I have since then installed an Phantom grip 1.5 LSD into the rear and a Phantom Grip LSD for the CRV 4wd tranny. I am using the tranny from the B20z because the shaft is bigger and it will withstand alot more abuse from my 2.1L T66 turbocharged LS/vtec power plant. I caontacted TLAR engineering and began my search from there.

Civic EG6 AWD system

I have done alot of research with TLAR engineering and came to the idea of swaping out the rear diff from the old suby impressa 2.5rs and used this rear diff at the 2.533 rear gear ratio to complement my drive trin configuration. I am running a 2.1L T66 turbocharged LS/vtec motor in a 1992 Civic EG6. My mounts were made by Staford Fabrication in Lancaster California. I am about 3G's into my AWD swap and now I am drivetrain complete and awaiting pics from my fab shop. I am about to have it tuned on Hondata s300 for boost. I am confident that the phanthom grip lsd's that I placed into the B20Z tranny and the R160 Rear differential will hold up to 300 Ft LBS of torque and the solid trans-axle will hold the power without binding. I am runing 15in 96' GSR blades and AGX 5 way adjustible shocks on Nuespeed Springs. I built this car for maximum boost response and 650 HP is my target power area. Ill get you some pics as soon as I can get back down there to my car..

Last edited:
if you're running a b-series the crv trans is definitely the way to go since its got the beefy f/h series internals

whats this about a 5.33 ratio?

what happened to the rear anyways? did the clutch pack just give out or broken gears/diff/etc?

did your machine shop custom make you the phantoms for the front/rear?

WOW! :eek:
You guys are doing an awesome job, Thank you all for the wealth of information.
PLEASE KEEP UP THE PROGRESS.
The more information available on forums like this makes it easier for others in the future.
You're providing a service to all who wish to build their own 4WD Civic one day.:thumbsup:
P.S Some of those pics look vaguely familiar ;)

The CRV transmission is geared kinda low. Its good for the quarter mile and the curcuit. Its great for the hard burst off the line and a good motor with decent power you wont have any problem with top end power at all. Boost happy my freinds.

Back