pictures of my turbo mani and downpipe

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CoreyR

im rocking the externally dumped internal wastegate. unfortunatley josh ordered the wrong size dumptube so we had to rock the autozone aluminized bling for the wastegate dump.

Picture147.jpg

Picture149.jpg

Picture150.jpg

Picture153.jpg

Picture152.jpg

Nice :thumbsup: what did you weld it with, TIG? How do you go about making an exhaust manifold anyway? Do you get bent or bend your self all of the pipes or can you buy segments made for such a task. I'm guessing you would have to get the flange custom made or made yourself too. I guess it comes down to.... just tell me how its done :p .

Looks good tho, good job.

-Scott

hotrex made it...and I'm actually really impressed. It looks TIG'd.

You can buy the bends and flanges and just make the box for the turbo mount.

But I can honestly say my welds never come out that nice.

think you actually gain a little hp. but also i like the sound when the w/g opens.

Quoted post[/post]]
ive always wondered, why not just weld the dump tube into the DP?

The stock F-Max kit does just that. As you get closer and closer to your PSI limit your wastegate starts to dump more and more dump tube exhaust back into your normal exhaust, In the world of turbo cars you want zero exhuast whatsoever (look at the 2foot race car exhaust), building a straight, opened up exhaust and then adding an inlet for MORE exhaust gas will just cause more backpressure in the exhuast system. not a lot but IMO if I want it done right anything more then zero backpressure is a bad thing.

Most cars wont go with the open dump tube becuase in the USA (most of it) you cannot run an open exhaust for some reason the EPA guys freak out.

It's completely possible to recirculate it, I probably would have reciculated it if I had the option.

FYI the first thing I did with my Fmax kit was cap off the inlet on the downpipe and run a straight pipe for my dump tube.

I think I just would have recirc.'d it and ran a cut out...that's just me though.

you gain horsepower with the atmospheric dump, and it sounds bad ass when the gate opens. its only open under boost so its not like your driving around with the gate open all the time.

and yes this manifold/DP is TIG welded 304SS on the mani and polished mild steel DP. the manifold is the first one he did with the new smiley welder and hes only gotten better with it since. if you need a mani josh will hook you up with a sweet piece for less than what all these other people charge. :thumbsup:

Quoted post[/post]]
I think I just would have recirc.'d it and ran a cut out...that's just me though.

What would the cut out do for you? you'd still end up forcing exhuast back into the downpipe before the cut out causing turbulence.

Open dump tube + 3" piping from the turbo out the rear with no anything just straight pipe. you can't beat it.
My civic wasnt loud at all, it was super deep but not very loud, (turbos dampin the sound) once the open dump tube opened well.. lest just say all hell broke loose.

Only up side to having a dumptube go back into the downpipe is for WOT sound (no differance) and to be EPA safe to the world.

If you're trying to make the most power for your setup an open dump tube IMO is the only way to go.

One down side to all the 350Z kits I've seen is all of them run the wastegate back into the downpipe =( The civic is an easy fix but the 350Z might be a pain to setup as open dump.

med_gallery_3_9_47798.jpg

Old pic of her.

Looking back at this one it sure does make your downpipe look dinky =)

I ran an internal gate, so it just recirculated into the DP anyway. I used the original WG housing and a 3 bolt flange DP.

gallery_28741_116_54720.jpg

And that was a temp line before I clocked the housing.

Quoted post[/post]]
I ran an internal gate, so it just recirculated into the DP anyway. I used the original WG housing and a 3 bolt flange DP.

And that was a temp line before I clocked the housing.

Nothing wrong with doing that I think the point we're both trying to make is it does in fact hurt you power wise.
If you're goal is under 250WHP then it shouldnt really matter but when you're going for higher power it does add up.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

What would the cut out do for you? you'd still end up forcing exhuast back into the downpipe before the cut out causing turbulence.

Open dump tube + 3" piping from the turbo out the rear with no anything just straight pipe. you can't beat it.
My civic wasnt loud at all, it was super deep but not very loud, (turbos dampin the sound) once the open dump tube opened well.. lest just say all hell broke loose.

Only up side to having a dumptube go back into the downpipe is for WOT sound (no differance) and to be EPA safe to the world.

If you're trying to make the most power for your setup an open dump tube IMO is the only way to go.

One down side to all the 350Z kits I've seen is all of them run the wastegate back into the downpipe =( The civic is an easy fix but the 350Z might be a pain to setup as open dump.

Old pic of her.

Looking back at this one it sure does make your downpipe look dinky =)

its only a half an inch difference, mines not dinky :p

you know how some women get......

Maybe your dump tube is larger then mine? looking at both pipes my dump tube is much smaler then my downpipe where yours is close to the same size.

Back