Pimp my lawnmower

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Sorry i dont know where to put this, but does anyone know how to extract more power out of a walk-behind lawnmower? I was cutting some tall grass today and the thing stalled out 8 times after finishing about 1/10th of the lawn so i just gave up. Its a Toro 6hp lawnmower(Briggs and Stratton engine) with RWD ;). I'm about to buy a new filter and plug for it tomorrow, but just wondering can i put a new carburetor on it? Also a few years ago i saw a "OHV Conversion" kit, does any know who would sell something like this?

Also, will nitrous hurt it? :lol:

Thanks.

I say hook a CRX HF motor to it, can't be super complicated assuming you have a welder, and those motors only cost a nickle. You'd have that lawn mowed before you could even think of what a bad idea it was!

ummm.....buy a weed wacker and go all fancy crazy and shit!!
the lawnmower thing sounds too complicated.

Lawnmowers are simple as hell; before i worked on cars i was working on lawnmowers and tillers. The CRX engine isnt a bad idea; but kinda overkill and too much work(this lawnmower has a gearbox to drive the rear-wheels, with the rpm of the CRX engine it might run away from me :lol:).

I have a guy here in town that can get 8-9 horsies out of a 5 hp Briggs and Straton block for our karting engines. I will see if i can get a link.

its stalling out cause there's so much grass its bringing the mower to a dead stop...

more power = you breaking something...

try running a higher octane (ie: cam2) and go slower with the mower...
or trim it down and then mow it...

i know how frustrating this can be but the last thing you want is your blade grenading and chopping your foot or toes off...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Aug 4 2005, 08:49 AM
its stalling out cause there's so much grass its bringing the mower to a dead stop...

more power = you breaking something...

try running a higher octane (ie: cam2) and go slower with the mower...
or trim it down and then mow it...

i know how frustrating this can be but the last thing you want is your blade grenading and chopping your foot or toes off...
[post=535656]Quoted post[/post]​

:withstupid:
bogging lawnmower > shredded foot

as for the CRX engine... just need to gear it down more, spend the extra 10 cents and get the tranny with it, lol. I would pay just to see a lawnmower with that kind of power, maybe it would be best in a riding lawnmower. However, good luck.

Yeah, slap a twin turbo system on that bitch.. that feeds a super charger. And Direct port (mower with direct port :D ) nitrous for the thick spots. Then RUN, because the rod will lodge itself in your leg.

Actually, what I do when the grass gets all uber thick like that is set the mower to its highest setting, take the bag off, and mow it like that, If it starts to bog, lift up the front end of the mower and walk through the thick shit with the front in the air, It'll hack that tall stuff up. Then go back over it normal.

you gotta admit, a tiny little turbo on a lawnmower would definitely make a badass lawnmower.

And yeah, sharpening the blade is a good idea.

I would pay just to see a lawnmower with that kind of power, maybe it would be best in a riding lawnmower. 

There was a v8 mower on ebay a few months back, it was friggin cool. Couldn't find it. But I did find this:

cLiCkY

Pay up, BIIIIIOOOTCH!

**EDIT** found it! woo ha!

mower.jpg

And for those Tough, thick areas where your v8 mower boggs:
mower2.jpg

the holding the front up works quite well...

if you're having trouble try removing the grass exit chute...
just removing that little flap makes it a lot better, but wear goggles... trust me, wear goggles...

Originally posted by chestercheeto48@Aug 4 2005, 05:43 AM
I have a guy here in town that can get 8-9 horsies out of a 5 hp Briggs and Straton block for our karting engines. I will see if i can get a link.
[post=535654]Quoted post[/post]​

you should check out the jounior drag racers online, they don't get 8 horses out of it but more upwards of 60 - 80 whp. they can get pretty dang fast, i think the average 60' foot time is around 1.43 seconds maybe, i dunno, somwhere around there. thats faster than most if not all 9 sec cars and slower.

modding lawnmowers is cool

ive always wanted to put an older honda 2 stroke 250cc aircooled motor into an old riding mower. It really should be that hard with a welder and figuring out what gear to run in the rear.

The hardest part would be geting the chain to the rear axle.. but you could run a small chain directly from the motor to a stationary bar that is set in bearings which would have another gear and chain to the rear axle... but im just thinkin out loud here.

i might be a moron but it seams plausible to me lol

ps.. no actual blades or mowing would be used with this...lol

i guess i might just buy a new blade or sharpen the older one then.

like i said earlier; this has a rwd system(Toro Personal Pace); so a higher-revving motor like the CRX motor will probally make it run away from me.
i would do turbo; but i dont know what it takes to turbocharge a carburetor motor and i wouldnt know where to find a turbine that small.
i know about the lifting the front trick; i do it and it still stalls out. problem is the grass is damp from the morning and, even though its hot(like 90ish), it wont dry up all the way.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Aug 4 2005, 04:17 PM
like i said earlier; this has a rwd system(Toro Personal Pace); so a higher-revving motor like the CRX motor will probally make it run away from me.
i would do turbo; but i dont know what it takes to turbocharge a carburetor motor and i wouldnt know where to find a turbine that small.

You say that like you are totally serious. lol.. good luck, man.

I know that my friends swapped out the cam in their go kart. it had a 4.5 or 5 hp motor and they found a 6 hp i think and put that in it. i know that it helped out quit a bit actually. try checking out what other hp motors that Toro makes, then maybe you could order the parts from a lawn and garden store.

Back