Piston choices

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMFantasy2k

What are you guys running for pistons? I was gonna get a set of SRP's but now i'm having second thoughts. Some people are telling me to spend a little more for CP pistons because of the superior balancing, and say they operate quieter. I'm not a little bitch, but i don't want my built motor to sound like a diesel truck because of 100 worth of piston slap. Someone also wiesco were pretty good too. Any opinions?

Also what CR should i be running? The stock SiR gen 2 is 10.4 and i know that's a little high to turbo. I was thinking somewhere around 9.5 would be safe and still give me good off boost power. Anyone here drop their compresison a whole point and notice shit worth power?

i'm runnig srp 11.3.1 compression. The only reason my car is a little noisy is due to the head being worked on. Skunk2 stage 2 valvtrain. Nothing like a diesal though. dont worry about that. Thats all i got to say, i dont know to much about boost soi cant recommend any compression. the only "bad piston" that i have heard rimors of are aries. But dont hold me to it since i never have used them

yeah i've heard praise and shit about CP. Some people are like oh they're the best machined and balanced pistons you can buy, and other people say they're tolerances are loose. But most people say they're quiet, and that SRP's and arias pistons are like driving a TDI jetta. Just wanted to get some opinions. I do like the fact that most CP's come with rings and pins, but their compression choices are rather limited. I was hoping to get something like a 9.6 and they only have like 10.5 and 9 :mad: . Obviously can't run 10.5 on a 300 goal turbo motor....

Interesting. I've never heard anything bad about CP pistons. Most machine shops tell me that they love CP pistons because they don't have to do anything to balance them...

If you were going to run 9.6, why not just a flat 9? On the other hand- people are able to make 300whp on stock internal GSR engines, so 10.5 on a quality forged piston with good tuning can pull 300whp too. It's all in the tuning. :)

Quoted post[/post]]
:mad: . Obviously can't run 10.5 on a 300 goal turbo motor....

Having higher compression is actually a great way to build more power out of a turbo engine, as Cal said it's all in the tuning. Take time with that. The civic that ran in pinks was pushing extremely high numbers (something better than 20 psi i think) on a stock sleeved d series due to good tuning.

CP are definitely good stock. The reason people hear "clatter" out of SRP is because the pistons were probably shelf stock. I hear nothing of the sort in my buddy's TA. If you really want a good piston, check out JE. All custom custom built to your specs.

well i think i'm gonna go with CP because they seem nice and i don't want to go though custom stuff and whatnot, and this build needs to be semi affordable. Now the question is, compression.

Yeah i only said 9.6 to 1 cause that's what my D is. I don't wanna run low low compression cause i think that's for pussies and i don't wanna lose too much off boost power. I know higher static compression yields bigger numbers with lower boost, but remember that lower compression offers a larger barrier of error in tuning. I have a friend tuning my car (unlessi buy a chip burner and do it myself), but we are by no means expert tuners. So should play it safe and go with the 9? Or be a crazy bastard and run 10.5 in a turbo motor with a 300whp goal :blink:

If im right lower compression is easier to tune.Yeah you might be able to hit a high number with high compression and low boost but its hard to tune.If not tuned right you will just be back replacing stuff (from experience).I would do 9:0 compression cp pistons and call it a day. :thumbsup:

yeah i figured as much, i'm just wondering how much off boost power i'm going to lose by droping my compression 1.4 points

Tuning 10.5 isn't going to be harder really, it's just going to take more time and you have to be less sloppy. Why are you worried about off boost performance? You are going to be on the squeeze 99% of the time you need to be, so it's not really an issue. I give a :thumbsup: to CP pistons. I am running them, and they are very quiet once they've warmed up. My valve train on the other hand... If you are running higher compression, you are jst going to have to a)run higher octane gas, b)retard timing more, or c)both. Those are going to be the two big issues of running higher compression, where as with lower compression, you can worry a little less about them. Get an egt if you are going to run high compression, as WILL be needed for tuning high compression.

Quoted post[/post]]
Tuning 10.5 isn't going to be harder really, it's just going to take more time and you have to be less sloppy. Why are you worried about off boost performance? You are going to be on the squeeze 99% of the time you need to be, so it's not really an issue. I give a :thumbsup: to CP pistons. I am running them, and they are very quiet once they've warmed up. My valve train on the other hand... If you are running higher compression, you are jst going to have to a)run higher octane gas, b)retard timing more, or c)both. Those are going to be the two big issues of running higher compression, where as with lower compression, you can worry a little less about them. Get an egt if you are going to run high compression, as WILL be needed for tuning high compression.

yeah egt is a good idea. I'm worried about off boost performance because i'll be breaking in the motor NA and i'll probably keep it that way for a while until i can save up for all my boost goodies. So i don't want it to be a complete pig. I think i might just go with the 9:1 pistons though just so i don't fuck something up. Also, how is this thing gonna run with my stock computer and lower compression.... :blink:

9:1 will be fine, and your computer might run it just a hair rich- but barely so because you're really close to your stock compression. Don't worry about it.

Back