1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

piston clearance and CR

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by 22crazy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. 22crazy

22crazy Senior Member

Hello, im probably just going to continue from my old post...but my question here will probably be a good tech question. I was just wondering...ive been reading up upon aftermarket camshafts and noticed for high performance ones u need to bump the CR for them to work properly...i think it has something to do with the crank case pressure, but i dont know for sure (little help?). but my real question was if u need higher compression to satisfy the camshafts yet the higher compression u go, the more of a chance u have to smash your piston's into your valves. The reason im saying this was because i wanted to use CTR pistons in a LS with crower 404's or cranes 0016/18...however i have heard many things about piston clearance. CTR pistons in a LS will yeild a CR of 11.5:1...for a real monster N/A, probably 12.5:1 would be desirable...but if theres piston clearance issues at 11.5, how do u overcome to reach 12.5. I know u can clay ur motor to see if theres any contact...but what if there is? what do u do then? how do u take the full advantage of the cams without blowing ur motor. I would really appreaciate if someone could explain this :worthy: . thanks in advance.

2. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

bigger cam = longer/higher valve opening = needs compression to utilitize said space effectively.

CTR pistons won't fit LS rods- so keep that in mind.

aftermarket high-dish pistons have deep valve reliefs for just this purpose.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted