Piston compression

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wannabboosted

I found a set of 10:1 Ross pistons for extremely cheap. Thought about using them on my Ls/vtec turbo set-up. What does everyone think? To high of compression?
Thanks!

That's the compression I hope to go with on my current build and my future build. (hopefully the future one will materialize as well) While most choose to go with a lower, 9.0:1 or 9.5:1 compression, going with a higher 10:1 compression will allow your turbo to spool faster and also not lose any power on the lower end. If I am wrong, you may feel free to shoot me in the face with a bazooka. :D One more thing, make sure you GET IT TUNED! Without that your engine will probably go boom.

What does your set up consist of?

Thats about as high as you'll wanna go for turbo. Your effective compression will be ridiculous, putting alot of stress on the engine, but it will make more power with less effort. Which is where you need to understand something. PSI does NOT designate a power goal. So after your car is tuned out and it makes say 300 whp on 8 PSI, don't be saying "well, I'm ONLY running 8 PSI, I can turn it up a little. WRONG. Just because the PSI level is low, doesn't mean that your setup isn't making power.

I've seen this happen alot. My buddy did it in his stock b16a3 del sol. Fried the rings because he was power happy, then it got stolen.

Current set-up is Ls/vtec with eagle h beam rods. t3/t4 turbo. For now stock injectors. GSR stock head. stock p28 until tune. stage 4 act clutch. msd. but current motor set-up thats all for know. running low on money haha

Thats about as high as you'll wanna go for turbo. Your effective compression will be ridiculous, putting alot of stress on the engine, but it will make more power with less effort. Which is where you need to understand something. PSI does NOT designate a power goal. So after your car is tuned out and it makes say 300 whp on 8 PSI, don't be saying "well, I'm ONLY running 8 PSI, I can turn it up a little. WRONG. Just because the PSI level is low, doesn't mean that your setup isn't making power.

I've seen this happen alot. My buddy did it in his stock b16a3 del sol. Fried the rings because he was power happy, then it got stolen.

That was BEAUTIFULLY said, Matt...though it has been said before, just not this well.

Sonofa...I must have gone rep happy one day 'cause I can't rep you for that. haha

That was BEAUTIFULLY said, Matt...though it has been said before, just not this well.

Sonofa...I must have gone rep happy one day 'cause I can't rep you for that. haha

Thanks man :)
Yeah, getting rep happy is funny stuff. I did that one day with Blanco. Haha.

To the OP: Running on stock injectors? Thats silly. What are you tuned to? Like 220 whp?
Get some bigger injectors and a larger capacity fuel pump. You won't regret it when you want to go for more power. Trust me, all of us do it.

Should be fine. I think a guy went 11.5:1 in a GSR engine; put down like 300-400whp(forgot the exact figure; his name was Tony Tiger on HT IIRC)

He must have had a great tune.

Though it probably didn't take too much to get there with that kind of compression.

haha i know running stock injectors is silly but im not driving it as of now and i have a walbro 255 hooked up now too. And as of now its not tuned. Getting a new set of 780's, Finishing off my MSD(need cap and rotor), intake mani. and boost controller. Then im going up to Slowmotion motorsports in columbus and get a tune. Heard they are really good. My buddy has a teggy set up at 520 horse at 18 psi and he had it tuned and built by them

hey guys.. so i have YCP Vitara pistons with 8.5:1 comp. is that too low, or how much boost can i put out you think?

*EDIT* and yes im having it tuned. its not currently on the road but i will have it tuned ASAP when it hits the road.

Back