Piston head bronzing = no nos detonation?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ImportConvert

So, my boy tells me when i build my engine to bronze my piston heads and it will provent detonation. He goes on to say -in his k20- that he can spray a 150
shot all day. Is this a fact or will i punch a hole in my block?

Never heard of "bronzed" pistons. Your friend is probably dumb and talking about thermal piston coatings(IIRC, most are ceramic). They do not help much at all with detonation unless your piston has hot spots. Air/fuel tuning and combustion chamber design will dictate whatever detonation you'll see.

The layer of carbon that "naturally" builds up on the pistons do the same thing as thermal coatings; which is reduce heat transfer to the pistons and increase thermal efficiency; in other words people use them on "low-mileage" setups to make more power. Mainly race cars use coatings because they aren't driven long enough to build-up that layer of carbon on the pistons, unlike street motors.

You will most likely punch a hole in your block; then again some people have got away with it(wet shot with something that'll retard timing). If the block is built and setup is tuned; then you'll most likely have no problems running a shot that large.

Last edited:
Thank you very very much. He was all like i could sell an ek on the streets for 10k too so yeah good thhng i didnt believe him and try it. I wouldnt know how to map it right tho and i would probably tear my front clip off anyway cos i dont know how to say no to more power. Thanks again!

Back