Piston Rings?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

wildbillhatchbac

the OG
VIP
i'm runnin a b18b with high compression jdm b16 pistons and a built head . . . i need opinions on the best piston rings to use and where i can find/purchase them.

i was thinking of using total seal, but i think they require measurements and made the rings to specs which will most likely take longer than i want to.

also i was thinking of using ITR rings from honda . . .

any info will help . . . thanks

all the b series rings are the same, except the B20, i would just get oem.

nothing beats OEM rings as they are tested MANY times to prevent blowby and oil leak. people may argue but like i said..tested MANY times and its a waste of money to get higher grade metal as it all works the same..

I know a guy who built his b18a and used total seal rings. That motor smoked like crazy. He now curses total seal. Best bet is oem, at least from everything i've read about the subject.

yeah its funny. . . people that haven't used total seal rings say they are awesome, but anyone who has used them lor jknows someone that did say they suck. :blink:

Originally posted by wildbillhatchbac@May 7 2003, 09:00 PM
yeah its funny. . . people that haven't used total seal rings say they are awesome, but anyone who has used them lor jknows someone that did say they suck. :blink:

That seems to be the trend that I'm seeing.

Let's just say that Phillip and Endyn both stay away from Total Seal rings. I'm using the "special" Endyn rings in my new build that seat fully after only a few miles. No break in time = yum.

:lol:

I didn't have good luck with my total seal rings, but gtpilot on this board swears by them. I just couldn't get them to seat.

Mike, do those rings come with all Endyn pistons?

Originally posted by lsvtec@May 7 2003, 10:09 PM
Mike, do those rings come with all Endyn pistons?

No. They're special order. They cost twice as much as the normal rings, but $75 vs $150 isn't really that much more.

When the time comes I am going for those.

It will be a while before these rings go. But when I granulate, I mean graduate, from college (should be Fall next year) I am going to sleeve an LS block to 84 or 85 mm for this car...

Back