piston rings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t3t4si

Ok recently i've run into a few problems with my car. With the rings in cylinders 3 and 4 frying. I have had no cylinder wall scaring. However there is a hot spot but thats nothing a little honeing cant fix. But i am faced with the problem of rings. I have all the items to get the car running again except for rings. I am going to use the factory cast pistons. I have purchased a thicker headgasket to lower the overall compression around one whole point. I would like some aftermarket rings which would seal a little better than the factory ones. Can anyone help me out in this situation?

OH yea i forgot to mention i was boosting 9 to 10 psi when the rings went. I do not plan to boost any more than that.

one point is usually .1
in otherwords, next to nothing. you won't find a headgasket that drops you a full 10:1 to 9:1 for example. no way. if you do, your motor is going to suck for power...

anyway, rings are rngs really. id just get another set of the oem rings, and bring that and your bock to a machine shop. have them hone your block to match your rings perfectly, that way you don't get leaks or hot spots.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 9 2004, 02:20 AM
you won't find a headgasket that drops you a full 10:1 to 9:1 for example. no way. if you do, your motor is going to suck for power...

You can get pretty damn close...

When I was spec'ing out pistons for my new build, just going from a standard 0.030in gasket to a 0.050in gasket took the compression from 13.8:1 down to 12.9:1. That's almost a full compression point right there. On a lower compression engine though (turbo compression levels), you would have to get something almost 50% thicker than that to lower an entire point.

i know this isnt my thread but what are hot spots?i'm just trying to know every lil thing about engines

Back