1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

piston rings

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by mrnice1058, Sep 20, 2004.

1. mrnice1058

mrnice1058 Senior Member

ok i am about to change the rods on my b16 because one of mine is busted so what i wanted to know is how can i tell if i need to change my piston rings? only because i am running very very low on the funds with this dam engine so if i can use the rings that was on the engine i would like that alot...i got the rod bearing for the new rods so i got that covered please let me know thanks guys

2. Arachnid

Arachnid Senior Member

buy an adaptor for like 4 bucks and do a home made leak down compression check. check for bubbling oil for bad rings.

3. CRseX84

CRseX84 Senior Member

usualy if you take the pistons out its a VERY VERY good idea to put new rings in. there only like 60$ for all 4 sets.. so theres no real reason not to... its like how u change ur H2o pump when u do a timing belt.. u do it while u have everything ripped appart... u might as well get new rings while ur in there...

4. sihatchback_RL

sihatchback_RL Senior Member

not only new rings, but a new hone. blueprint the cylinder to see if it's in spec or bad enough to do an overbore. new rings need a new wall to seat properly. unless you want to be disqualified at the tracks.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted