piston rings

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrnice1058

ok i am about to change the rods on my b16 because one of mine is busted so what i wanted to know is how can i tell if i need to change my piston rings? only because i am running very very low on the funds with this dam engine so if i can use the rings that was on the engine i would like that alot...i got the rod bearing for the new rods so i got that covered please let me know thanks guys

buy an adaptor for like 4 bucks and do a home made leak down compression check. check for bubbling oil for bad rings.

usualy if you take the pistons out its a VERY VERY good idea to put new rings in. there only like 60$ for all 4 sets.. so theres no real reason not to... its like how u change ur H2o pump when u do a timing belt.. u do it while u have everything ripped appart... u might as well get new rings while ur in there...

not only new rings, but a new hone. blueprint the cylinder to see if it's in spec or bad enough to do an overbore. new rings need a new wall to seat properly. unless you want to be disqualified at the tracks.

Back