piston swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dark91zc

can i put d15b2 flat top pistons in a dohc zc engine to lower compression

Originally posted by Dark91zc@Dec 15 2004, 01:43 PM
can i put d15b2 flat top pistons in a dohc zc engine to lower compression
[post=432568]Quoted post[/post]​

imma say no but thats just an educated guess seeing u cant usually use sohc parts on a dohc engine every (internally) harness and things like that are a little diff @!

the bore is the same considering that they are both d series motors. the zc is the biggest stock piston so the b2 piston will lower the compression. dont know by how much though. ill search around. this might help a little though http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm

Originally posted by ryan89crx@Dec 15 2004, 02:11 PM
the bore is the same considering that they are both d series motors. the zc is the biggest stock piston so the b2 piston will lower the compression. dont know by how much though. ill search around. this might help a little though http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/D.htm
[post=432655]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. The PM3 pistons from the D15B2 will actually raise compression by quite a bit, and that's only if you can get the pistons to run in your engine without slamming into the head. The PM3s may be flat topped compared to the PM7 pistons, but they also have a considerably higher compression height.

IF you were able to get everything to work, you would get a compression ratio of 9.6:1. The PM3s will also stick up about 0.684mm above the block at TDC.

If you want to lower compression with OEM pistons, stay with D16 pistons so you don't have to worry about hitting the head at TDC. Any OEM D16 piston other than the PM7 will lower your compression ratio.

Originally posted by Calesta@Dec 15 2004, 12:42 PM
Nope. The PM3 pistons from the D15B2 will actually raise compression by quite a bit, and that's only if you can get the pistons to run in your engine without slamming into the head. The PM3s may be flat topped compared to the PM7 pistons, but they also have a considerably higher compression height.
[post=432679]Quoted post[/post]​

ya, i just noticed that when looing at the compression calculator. ive heard all over the place that the zc and pistons were the biggest but when i tried to enter the values into the calc for the b2, it was a negative value(out of the hole) thanks for the correction

No problem. I'm just trying to make sure everyone gets the right info.

Back