Piston to Cylinder head clearance

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Utrax42

My D16Z6 block is bored +.020 over. The block was redecked about .003". I'm running PG6 pistons which sit Zero Decked (and are now about +.003" because of the redecking).
I'm worried about piston top to cylinder head clearance issues, because the only thing stopping the piston from making contact with the head is the head gasket thickness minus the .003". I can only find head gaskets for my over bore that are .030" thick.
Is that going to be enough?
I've read while searching that you want at least .040". Has anyone here ran tighter than this? Thanks!

My suggestion is to buy an adjustable cam gear, that way you can adjust the valves to be right. Also clay your motor, which is from what I hear pretty simple.

I do have an adjustable cam gear. I'm not worried really about the valves hitting pitons, and I plan on claying just in case.
I'm worried about the pistons making contact with the actual cylinder head right around the edge where the squish area is. Theoretically speaking it should be fine, but We are talking less than half a millimeter of clearance with a piston traveling at 2000 feet per second. The rods are used and should be stretched already. I guess we will see if nobody has any experience with this. Thanks for the replies though.

Back