Piston wrist pin problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Blattitude

I just got off the phone with my machinist. He said I would need new pistons because my type r pistons NIPPON RACING PERFORMANCE B16B PISTONwhich have Holes in the wrist pin bosses to improve oiling and superior lubrication, came without the grooves or the lock pins needed to keep attatched the rod to the piston. I have a set of gsr eagle rods. I want to know what kind of pistons I need or do i need to find a new machinist?

the pistons you have are made for rods which use the pressed in pins, like stock - the eagle rods are made for full floating pins which require pistons with grooves and snap rings - pressed in pins fit tight in the rods and the pistons slide back and forth on the pins - full floating pins allow the rod to slide back and forth on the pins and the pin is held in place by the snap rings on each side of the piston - you can't mix and match - you need either, rods made for pressed in pins or pistons made for full floating pins

you can modify them to fit. I have a buddy that did that to a set of RS machine pisons, and thoes pistons are pretty much the same.

Also, RS makes second gen pistons that can use a pressed wrist pin or a free floating for aftermarket rods.

Back