Pistons in the ls

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90sihatch

I've been doin some reading, and ls vtec and turbo are not really options on my budget, so I might try to build the ls. Its a 92 motor that I'm running obd0 in my 90 si. I read that b16a pistons will bolt up to my ls rods and raise the compression, is that true? If so, how much will the compression raise and will the rest of the motor be able to take it? I also think cams would be involved in the build, but I have no idea which ones to go with. The car is my daily driver, so I want it to stay reliable, but I need more power.

yeah you can use the usdmpr3/jdm p30 b16 pistons and you're looking at 11.5:1 +/- CR....i would send the ecu to get chipped and then dyno tune

Quoted post[/post]]
yeah you can use the usdmpr3/jdm p30 b16 pistons and you're looking at 11.5:1 +/- CR....i would send the ecu to get chipped and then dyno tune

yeah i was looking at that phearable or whatever, but I don't really understand what chipping does. Should I do that before or after pistons?

chipping add more to the original program so the engine can pull maps for when more fuel is needed

most of the chips they sell on Ebay and stuff are junk. they just advance the timing, and increase the fuel flow to the engine, which isnt necessarly the best way to tune an engine. The best way is to get your car dyno tuned, you'll get the best bang for your buck, and your motor will be running correctly.
I know that dyno'n something like what your building might seem overkill, but most chips they sell arnt setup for your exact motor.

i think with a little more fuel psi you wont need to burn a chip....but i'm not possitive.....take it to a dyno

Ok so back to the pistons, will I really get any performance out of putting higher compression pistons in?

:werd:

bills old hatch had a B18B with a PnP'd head some JDM B16 pistons (about 11:1cr) and crower 403(?) cams
everything else was pretty much stock
semi hacked exhaust
test pipe
stock exhaust manifold
crappy short ram intake
stock intake manifold
stock LS ECU
stock LS tranny

and it hung right with my ITR swapped sol
i would have loved to see what that thing could do with the rest of the stuff finished up

damn. sounds good to me. how much does a mild port and polish generally cost? I know it depends on a lot of things, but a very general estimate?

Ok so what about installing the pistons? I was told that it will need to be honed to get a proper seal? how much is that usually?

Back