Pistons

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ballinhatch

Any one know where i can find high compression pistons for a D16Z6?

Originally posted by HondaMoCo@Aug 24 2003, 01:48 AM
if you use 88-89 oem integra pistons, your compression ratio would be in the 12:1-12.5:1 ratio

do you know if they will fit the d15b7 also?

i would imagine since those pistons would come out of a D16, then they prooooobably would be a little big for a 1.5.........just a thought........ :roll:

Originally posted by ballinhatch@Aug 24 2003, 07:54 PM
i would imagine since those pistons would come out of a D16, then they prooooobably would be a little big for a 1.5.........just a thought........ :roll:

Here's a thought, all D series have the same bore, 75mm. So guess what. THe difference is the stroke, example D16A6 has a 90mm stroke and the D15B7 has a 84.5mm stroke, but both have a 75mm bore.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Aug 24 2003, 07:36 PM-->
ballinhatch
@Aug 24 2003, 07:54 PM

Here's a thought, all D series have the same bore, 75mm. So guess what. THe difference is the stroke, example D16A6 has a 90mm stroke and the D15B7 has a 84.5mm stroke, but both have a 75mm bore.

wouldn't it be more worth his time to get a D16 in the first place?

If he took the pistons out of the D16 to put them in his D15 then he'd have to take the crankshaft as well.

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Aug 24 2003, 07:46 PM
why?

because the crankshaft is what determines the stroke of the engine.

I bet if he puts the D16 pistons on his D15 crank, he'll have the same 84.5mm stroke.

Right. So he has to get the pistons AND the crankshaft out of the D16...that way he can have his bump. But It would probably be more worth his time to just buy that D16 he's using as the donor engine & build on it.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Aug 24 2003, 08:08 PM-->
Originally posted by sleepergtx@Aug 24 2003, 08:54 PM
hcivic.com
@Aug 24 2003, 07:46 PM
why?

because the crankshaft is what determines the stroke of the engine.

I bet if he puts the D16 pistons on his D15 crank, he'll have the same 84.5mm stroke.

Not nescessarily, the rods are different lengths also. Example D16A6 has a 137mm rod, and a D15B7 has a 134mm rod.

Oh...cool. Is there someplace I can learn this myself? I'm just getting into Honda engines, but generally speaking the crankshaft usually determines stroke.

Edit: if he puts the D16 pistons with the 137 mm length on his D15 crank he'll increase his stroke from 84.5 to 87.5, where as if he uses the D16 crank and pistons he'll have the 90.0 stroke.

ni it dosn't there are numerous instances with diffrent rods and crank honda changed booth during enginer for good rs ratios but anyhow jut read the faq and articles section

<_<
u dont need the longer stroke to increase the compression...if the pistons have a higher dome, then that will increase compression.

u increase the stroke and/or bore to increase displacement

ok yeah thanks for all that info and i am planing on putting a b18c5 in withyin the next year but i was just asking about the pistons b/c i want to do something to the engine in it now untill i get the b18. i was just reading up on a mini me swap to put a d16z6 head on the d15 block. and then i will go off and waste money on cams and intake manifolds and other stuff then sell it for dirt cheap b/c thats generally what i do. b/c i have no use for the stuff anymore. but if i have to put in the d16 crank and rods and pistons to get a bump in compression. i might just buy the je/srp pistons made for the engine to get my bump in compression.

Back