PISTONS??????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RED_95_GSR

i have a 95 gsr and am in the process of collecting parts for my rebuild. i plan to spray and am lookin for pistons with a compression ratio in the 10's. preferably somewhere around 10.5:1. i have looked everywhere and have had no luck. does anyone know where i can find pistons for this motor with a compression in this range? any help will be greatly appreciated

also, i plan to spray 150 with a nitrous controller. is 10.5:1 to high for this much juice?

i looked at some probe pistons, strictly for compression/nitrous comparison and they said their forged 10.5:1's were only good up to about an 80 shot?

they said for large amounts of nitrous to use their 9.0:1's. but wouldnt that low a compression hinder motor performance off the spray?

please help :(

Originally posted by RED_95_GSR@Jan 7 2005, 02:02 AM
i have a 95 gsr and am in the process of collecting parts for my rebuild. i plan to spray and am lookin for pistons with a compression ratio in the 10's. preferably somewhere around 10.5:1. i have looked everywhere and have had no luck. does anyone know where i can find pistons for this motor with a compression in this range? any help will be greatly appreciated

also, i plan to spray 150 with a nitrous controller. is 10.5:1 to high for this much juice?

i looked at some probe pistons, strictly for compression/nitrous comparison and they said their forged 10.5:1's were only good up to about an 80 shot?

they said for large amounts of nitrous to use their 9.0:1's. but wouldnt that low a compression hinder motor performance off the spray?

please help :(
[post=442329]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm assuming you are staying 81 or 81.5mm bore. Theres not much choices for an 81mm bore in that compression range. but when we need something like that, we use the ARIAS 10.2:1 piston for the 81.5mm bore. its pretty close to what you need.

you know that the CR on a gsr is in the 10.6:1 range...is the nitrous going to be for competition? because i believe that with a thicker head gasket you can have fun with the juice -100shot ...i you want it for once in a while ..... if you like the juice you should look into an afortable turbo kit......and just buy 9.8:1 range and use the nos to spray the intercooler....?

i personally have almost completed my kit for my lsv with stock Pr4 pistons and rods....for a modest 8-12psi daily

good luck finding the right set

I really wouldn't recommend spraying that much on the OEM cast pistons. Stick with your original plan of getting a nice set of forged pistons. The Arias pistons that Wil talks about sound like they would work well.

ImportBuilders also sells Probe pistons in 10.1:1 compression for 81mm bore and 10.2:1 compression for 81.5mm bore GSR blocks. If you really want those extra few tenths, you could always shave the head a little. For some extra insurance, you could also have the pistons ceramic coated with a thermal barrier coat on top. They'll last longer. If you're tight on cash, you could try coating the OEM pistons and using those with your 150 shot of nitrous.

http://www.importbuilders.com/pistons.html

i think i will look into the arias pistons......how much would the ceramic coating cost?

also, with 10.1:1 arias pistons, how much would i need to mill the head and block to reach around 10.5:1?

thanks for all the help

Originally posted by RED_95_GSR@Jan 7 2005, 03:25 AM
i think i will look into the arias pistons......how much would the ceramic coating cost?

also, with 10.1:1 arias pistons, how much would i need to mill the head and block to reach around 10.5:1?

thanks for all the help
[post=442359]Quoted post[/post]​

We offer the piston coating for another $150.00

I wouldnt worry about bumping up the compression another .4
Once you mill the head, you cant turn back. Its best to work with the 10.1:1 compression.

Wil

That's very true- milling the head isn't a good thing. I know I don't like it. Pick the right pistons and you won't have to shave.

I had my pistons coated through Swain Technology- they charge anywhere from $32 a piston on up, depending on what you choose. My coatings were $38 per piston.

i went to the swain site and noticed that they also offer coating for heads and valvetrain. due to the heat that will be produced from the nitrous, should i look into these coatings as well? or are those more for full blown race motors?

To be honets im surprised that milling the head was offerd up as such a viable alternative. It has its place and all, but if your looking for a specific compresion ratio, and your at the pistions part of you build, you should stick with trying to get what your looking for out of the pistons and not the head. As it was stated there is no going back, like adding salt you can always add more but you cant take away. Its like a cooking tip. Look at engine builds like recipe's. Milling is more of a secondary method, or a method for extreme budget builds. I mean if i had an ls and needed raw power fast with out tearing it completly apart i would cam it, mill it and spray it, till it blew. But thats by far not the idea here. Milling just seems so neandertal like when theres such better options.

Back