1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

platinum plugs: to gap or not to gap?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by bcman, Mar 30, 2006.

1. bcman

bcman Senior Member

I bought a set of Bosch platinum spark plugs before my trip to the desert and installed them in the car. My roommate suggested I set them to the factory recommended gap of .039-.043 in, but my chilton's manual says never adjust the gap on platinum plugs. several other friends agreed with the chilton's. What do you guys think? what's the reasoning behind not adjusting platinums?

2. MikeBergy

MikeBergy Blah blah blah....

most plugs are pregapped, that's most likely the reason. The only part that is platinum is the electrode, all the rest is the same. Just check the gap, but it's most likely right on. If not, adjust it. No biggie.

3. kaoskustoms

kaoskustoms Senior Member

platnium if you adjust you will break the platinum off it thats why you dont adjust

and if you are running them in any thing foreign you are nuts not ment for import cars

4. GSRCRXsi

GSRCRXsi Super Moderator Moderator VIP

elements of the periodic table dont discriminate against import/domestic. hell the Honda dealership recommends NGK platinums for their DOHC VTEC motors.

5. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

other than longevity I have found no benefits to using platinum plugs, So I still use NGK copper

6. GSRCIVICTN

GSRCIVICTN Lost in a sea of rednecks

He's pretty much right on the first part and pretty much wrong on the second part. Just don't put Bosch plugs in your engine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted