Playstation 3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm definitely excited. Hell, I'm just happy that it's going to finally support my 5.1 sound system. :D

Oh yeah, and as B said, it looks pretty fuckin slick. But then again, the PS2 looked a helluva lot better than the Xbox.

Originally posted by corvetteguy+May 17 2005, 08:18 AM-->
jesus, thats one hella gaming platform....

You guys evern heard of Infinium Labs...The make the Phanton Gaming System....what do you guys think of it

Phantom
[post=500440]Quoted post[/post]​

Infinium Labs "Phantom" is vaporware

corvetteguy
@May 17 2005, 08:41 AM
Alienwareor

how about alienware's console
[post=500444]Quoted post[/post]​

Alienware good try but a POS

The PS3 has WAY more power than any of those "Im-a-computer-trying-to-be-a-console" bullshit systems. The Cell processor will own any computer on the market in the face...twice. And the GPU for the PS3 kicks the ass of 3 Radeon x800s and has 512mb of video ram.

yeah I emailed that site about the No Console to Console ill post what they send back if they even do. My self Im gonna get the xbox two just because I like the Xbox more. To me its all really brand preferance. I kinda doubt that games will come out that will really tax a machine with that high of specs, if they do then thats pretty freakin cool but still. Im gonna go with Xbox.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 17 2005, 08:46 PM
And the GPU for the PS3 kicks the ass of 3 Radeon x800s and has 512mb of video ram.
[post=500587]Quoted post[/post]​

Hardly, there is a reason that the card alone cost more than this whole sytem is probably going to sell for.

The RADEON X800 PRO features SMARTSHADERâ„¢ HD, the most advanced pixel
shader engine with 12 parallel pixel pipelines capable of an incredible 6 igapixels/second fill rate in full precision! With six programmable vertex shader pipelines, capable of up to 7000 million vertices per second and an overall capability of over 140 million floating point operations per second(Giga FLOPS), the RADEONâ„¢ X800 PRO delivers the most beautifully rendered high-definition 3D animation for the ultimate in intense, interactive game play.

SMARTSHADERâ„¢ HD
+ Support for Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 programmable vertex and pixel shaders in hardware
+ Direct X 9.0 Vertex Shaders
+ Vertex programs up to 65,280 instructions with flow control
+ Single cycle trigonometric operations (SIN & COS)
+ Direct X 9.0 Extended Pixel Shaders
+ Up to 1,536 instructions and 16 textures per rendering pass
+ 2nd generation F-buffer technology accelerates multi-pass pixel shader programs with unlimited instructions
+ 32 temporary and constant registers
+ Facing register for two-sided lighting
+ 128-bit, 64-bit & 32-bit per pixel floating point color formats
+ Multiple Render Target (MRT) support
+ Complete feature set also supported in OpenGL® via extensions

SMOOTHVISIONâ„¢ HD
+ 3Dcâ„¢ - Normal map image compression technology resulting in high detail image quality 2x/4x/6x Anti-Aliasing modes
+ Sparse multi-sample algorithm with gamma correction, programmable sample patterns, and centroid sampling
+ Lossless Color Compression (up to 6:1)at all resolutions, including widescreen
+ HDTV resolutions
+ Temporal Anti-Aliasing
+ 2x/4x/8x/16x Anisotropic Filtering modes
+ Up to 128-tap texture filtering
+ Adaptive algorithm with bilinear (performance) and trilinear (quality) option

3DCâ„¢
+ High quality 4:1 Normal Map Compression
+ Works with any two-channel data format

HYPER Zâ„¢ HD
+ 3-level Hierarchical Z-Buffer with Early Z Test
+ Lossless Z-Buffer Compression (up to 48:1)
+ Fast Z-Buffer Clear
+ Z Cache optimized for real-time shadow rendering
+ Optimized for performance at high display resolutions, including widescreen
+ HDTV resolutions

VIDEOSHADERâ„¢ HD
+ Seamless integration of pixel shaders with video in real time
+ FULLSTREAMâ„¢ video de-blocking technology for Real, DivX, and WMV9 formats
+ VIDEOSOAPâ„¢ noise removal filtering for captured video
+ MPEG1/2/4 decode and encode acceleration
+ DXVA Support
+ Hardware Motion Compensation, iDCT, DCT and color space conversion
+ All-format DTV/HDTV decoding
+ YPrPb component output for direct drive of HDTV displays
+ Adaptive Per-Pixel De-Interlacing and Frame Rate Conversion (temporal filtering)

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 17 2005, 03:22 PM-->
Citizen_Insane
@May 17 2005, 08:46 PM
And the GPU for the PS3 kicks the ass of 3 Radeon x800s and has 512mb of video ram.

7000 million vertices per second and an overall capability of over 140 million floating point operations per second(Giga FLOPS)
[post=500601]Quoted post[/post]​

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS3: 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance

You were saying?

Originally posted by Sabz5150@May 16 2005, 05:12 PM
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee look at the specs!

CPU

Cell Processor   
PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
      1 VMX vector unit per core
      512KB L2 cache
      7 x SPE @3.2GHz
      7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
      7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
      * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
      total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS
[post=500220]Quoted post[/post]​

Holy cooling issues. The G5 has enough heating and cooling issues as it is at 2.7GHz. 3.2 is insane.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+May 17 2005, 11:17 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 17 2005, 03:22 PM
Citizen_Insane

7000 million vertices per second and an overall capability of over 140 million floating point operations per second(Giga FLOPS)

You were saying?
[post=500629]Quoted post[/post]​

I was saying there is a lot more to a GPU than the floating point ops.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 17 2005, 10:42 PM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@May 17 2005, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 17 2005, 03:22 PM
Citizen_Insane

You were saying?
[post=500629]Quoted post[/post]​

I was saying there is a lot more to a GPU than the floating point ops.
[post=500721]Quoted post[/post]​

nVidia designed the GPU for the PS3.

"The GPU will be capable of 128bit pixel precision, 1080p resolution, some of the highest HD resolution around. It also has over 300 million transistors, larger than any processor available commercially today. It was manufactured using the 90nm process with 8 layers of metal. The RSX is more powerful than two GeForce 6800 ultras, which would cost rough $1000 if bought today."

It's called the Reality Synthesizer for a reason.

Hmmmm....nice. Now the question is, are companies going to make games that use its potential?

And I wonder if I could take one out of a PS3 and use it in my PC?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 17 2005, 11:01 PM
Hmmmm....nice. Now the question is, are companies going to make games that use its potential?

And I wonder if I could take one out of a PS3 and use it in my PC?
[post=500739]Quoted post[/post]​

Why would you want to? Use the PS3 as a workstation. It outperforms any computer on the market today. When there's a Linux that runs on it I'll be one of the first to install it :)

A pair of widescreen HDTV monitors, that much processing and graphics power... that's a rendering godsend!

As ashamed I am to say it, I read that it was capable of 2 TFLOPS and I almost got a boner

It all comes down to one thing. Halo. Sony will never create a FPS that will come close to Halo, thus Xbox 360 + Halo 3 = PS who?

Don't deny it fuckers, look at the sales, NO game has impacted a system more than Halo, on any gaming system. Like it or hate it, just watch. All the specs on the planet don't mean shit if Master Chief is rocking the Xbox.

Originally posted by Havok@May 18 2005, 02:24 AM
It all comes down to one thing. Halo. Sony will never create a FPS that will come close to Halo, thus Xbox 360 + Halo 3 = PS who?

Don't deny it fuckers, look at the sales, NO game has impacted a system more than Halo, on any gaming system. Like it or hate it, just watch. All the specs on the planet don't mean shit if Master Chief is rocking the Xbox.
[post=500797]Quoted post[/post]​

Grand Theft Auto. I don't see Halo posters covering old buildings as I drive downtown.

Halo's a good game, don't get me wrong but damn for an FPS it is slow.

That, and I can buy Halo for PC :) Don't have much of a need for an Xbox at that point.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+May 18 2005, 02:41 PM-->
@May 18 2005, 02:24 AM

[post=500797]Quoted post[/post]​

Grand Theft Auto. I don't see Halo posters covering old buildings as I drive downtown.

Halo's a good game, don't get me wrong but damn for an FPS it is slow.

That, and I can buy Halo for PC :) Don't have much of a need for an Xbox at that point.
[post=500833]Quoted post[/post]​

Halo 2 sold more copies in one day than GTA did in a week, by approx 340,000 copies.

GTA San Andreas has outsold Halo2 by about a mil, BUT not till it is availible on both consoles. And Halo 1 has still sold over 1.1 mil THIS year, and has stay in or near the top ten since it came out.

Playstation has it's share of all-star titles. That, and sure Halo has outsold just about everything else, but 1: it's a microsoft game. 2: it's almost the only title I really hear about on xbox anymore. That and the KOTOR games.

as far as I'm concerned, the xbox has just a few franchises keeping it alive. Yes it's doing well, but the franchises are doing well. Playstation doesn't have to rely on a couple big-name series'.

Screw halo, its not even a good game. FPS' belong on a computer. If I wanted to play an FPS, i'd play HL2, which has better graphics and gameplay and story and multiplayer and everything than Halo. Halo isn't really anything new either. All M$ did was take a generic space shooter and allow you to use 2 joysticks. Wow, impressive microsoft.

^^ I'm also with Battle Pope. The fact that M$ relies so much on Halo to push their gaming console says a lot about how sucessful its going to be also. In the end, the Xbox360 is going to get owned.

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 18 2005, 11:42 AM
Screw halo, its not even a good game. FPS' belong on a computer. If I wanted to play an FPS, i'd play HL2, which has better graphics and gameplay and story and multiplayer and everything than Halo. Halo isn't really anything new either. All M$ did was take a generic space shooter and allow you to use 2 joysticks. Wow, impressive microsoft.

^^ I'm also with Battle Pope. The fact that M$ relies so much on Halo to push their gaming console says a lot about how sucessful its going to be also. In the end, the Xbox360 is going to get owned.
[post=500942]Quoted post[/post]​

Wow, I didn't think there was anyone out there who agreed with me. :lol: FPS's played out in the 90's. Halo/Halo2 is just like every other FPS out there (which, in turn, are like every other FPS......), and is boring just like every other FPS. I suppose the multiplayer aspect is the only thing saving the game. Even that gets old REAL fast. "Ha ha, I blew you up for the 32nd time!"

Back