PLEASE HELP ASAP !!!!!!!!!!&#3

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
ok. today (saturday) is the only free time i have available...

i lagged the past two days and forgot to make this thread, so im doing it as my car is on jackstands.

i got shitty matrix coilovers on my ek coupe. i wanted to surprise my g/f when i see her tomorrow and have my shit raised up to stock height. (its a major issue with her, and my car scrapes my downpipe when i enter her driveway) untill i save enough $$ for some good lowering springs, im going to ride stock height for a few.

the matrix coilovers are shot. they sag in the front and im sure this is going to be a 4 hour project. i cant raise them up any higher than they are now due to the fact the spring will not allow the (fuck i forget the term for it...) "circle thingys" that you turn to raise and lower it to go any higher. so im going to have to take my entire strut assembly out of the car and fuck with each one individually.

but can someone tell me how high a stock ek coupe should be in the front, and in the rear? and to measure, i just take a tape measure and measure in the middle to the ground correct?

<<edit>>

2,600 POSTS !!!!!!!!

you talking about adjusting the collar on the perch and you cant move them?? use a screw driver and a hammer and bang on it till it moves then adjust it. i take it you lost the wrenches that came with that adjust the collar? why not just crank the fuckers all the way up as far as they go???

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Sep 27 2003, 10:49 AM
you talking about adjusting the collar on the perch and you cant move them?? use a screw driver and a hammer and bang on it till it moves then adjust it. i take it you lost the wrenches that came with that adjust the collar? why not just crank the fuckers all the way up as far as they go???

no no no.

when i take off the front two wheels in the front, the spring that sits on the sleeve is stuck. you know how you can turn the two collars, and the spring rests on the collars? well the collars are at their highest point, and the spring is at it's highest point....the problem is, the front is still low. but, ya hammer and screw driver might be my two best friends...

yeah i had to use a hammer and screw driver (flat head) to knock the spring collars loose because of the dirt that had built up. boy was it a bitch and those stupid spanner wrenches they gave with the coilover kit were pieces of shit. i bent one of them trying to get the fucker loose....thats when i broke out a hammer and flat head screwdriver. stupid piece of shit Arospeed coilvers. this was on my 90 hatchback. i had Ground Controls on my 97 Civic coupe and didnt have that problem.

ok well im going to double-thread this topic in hopes i can insight some more help....its been a few hours and noone has replied with correct height measurements....

please dont lock my other height topic. i got both spinners on the front two wheels up....and unfortunately the spring is getting more and more compressed and as a result the collars are getting harder and harder to turn....

thanks

anyway you can eyeball them to the height u need? like at 3/4 of the way up? thats what i did and it worked fine for my car..only when i HAD to raise car up...LOL. must of the time i had em cranked all the way down :D

i can do the "trial and error" tpp, but the fact remains is that i gotta guesstimate it, and if im wrong then i gotta re-take my tire off, then raise both sides up more (front two sides are uneven) and put the tire back on and re-evaluate it....

i allready did this a few times ...and its not working out :(

ok. i did a search on goole with no results.

the only thing i came up with is that as per one website with ek specs....

it says the 96 civic has a base height of 54.7 inches. is this all the way around?

where did they measure to get these figures? i always thought on the ek civics that the back was slightly higher than the front....?

i give up. im going back outside and just eyeballing it and fuggedabboutit.

had some problems....when i finally got it all said and done, the right side of the car was higher than the left.

so i jacked up the right side, made the necessary corrections. its still off about an 1/4 of an inch, but nothing noticible.

when i was putting the lug nut on...i fucking over-torqued it with my hands and a tire jack.....and wound up stripping the stud right off the wheel.

so now i gotta figure out how to replace the stud...

im running around on 3 lug nuts .... that safe?

ill take some pics tomorrow and let u guys decide if it looks good or not.

:blink:

runing on 3 lugs is ok, just no high speed cornering for you.

and I know a a tad bit late but the " base height of 54.7 inches" that is the height from the ground to the rooflne not from wheel to wheel centerline. that's called "Wheelbase"

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 28 2003, 01:44 AM

with a chizel, knock out the spot weld from behind (if your has them) when you do that, take a hammer, pound on the stud till it is loose. Buy a new stud, replace it, put a little bit of JBweld on the back side of the head to keep her in place. You may need to put a few washers over the stud then tighten the lug nut to pull the stud all the way through.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Sep 28 2003, 10:05 AM-->
Tonyd0821
@Sep 28 2003, 01:44 AM

with a chizel, knock out the spot weld from behind (if your has them) when you do that, take a hammer, pound on the stud till it is loose. Buy a new stud, replace it, put a little bit of JBweld on the back side of the head to keep her in place. You may need to put a few washers over the stud then tighten the lug nut to pull the stud all the way through.

i was thinking of drilling out the stud with a De Walt then using loc-tite to procure it in place....

AUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

i hate doing unecessary work to my car that wont increase it's performance....

fuck. few more hours on the jackstands......

I think that knocking the spot weld would be easier. Then you can just pound it out.

Back