Please help ASAP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kirdenlynx

Ok, my fiance just blew the engine in her auto ek. I have been looking for a new body for my ls/vtec in my 92 gsr. Now to me this sounds like a perfect compromise. However, my fiance's family is trying to crush the civic...

To help me illustrate my point to her how difficult will it be to do this swap? The engine is ODB 1 and has a cable tranny (hope to grab a hydro from the local pick and pull) so what all would I be looking at swap wise? I have never done the OBD part of this swap but from what I understand I can get a set of oem replacement mounts for the SiR and that covers me as far as the engine mounting, then the axles I believe come from the intrgra but I'm not sure with the knuckles, so what I may do is get all SiR replacement parts for this swap, which is still cheaper than getting a new DA body.

The reason this appeals to me is my DA has about 4k worth of body damage and the civic only needs a new passenger side door. Also the DA is a gsr so it is heavy, but the hatch is a dx so I can shell it out without worrying. Thanks for the help in advance, maybe I can save my project after all.

obd2 to 1 is farily simple.... the problem you're going to face is that its illegal in most states to put an older motor into a newer chassis. So, first step is to check your local dmv/dot laws.

Its not illegal here, georgia isn't on the bandwagon yet ;)

does anyone have a direct link to a swap like this, I'm steadily searching but having little luck. I probably have about 2 hours before I get the "so what did you find out" call.

You can get a variety of OBD1 ECU,s that are set up for that motor but most people run a P28 with a base-map pre-tuned for LS/VTEC (depending on mod's) or a chipped one then straight to the dyno/tune. You need a harness to convert your plugs at the ECU to OBD1 so it can plug into the computer. OBD1 Dizzy and Alternator (not sure on the fuel injection may need to splice harness into wiring for fuel injectors)

Use the harness in the EK and wire for VTEC to the ECU
I think you need a different throttle cable but could be wrong with the EK DX

Don't think there's much more to the swap (other then what you covered) but someone chime in if I missed something.

I was able to pull the "civic is in my name" card so it looks like I have kept them off my back for now. However still looking for an answer to how difficult putting the cable gsr tranny into the 96 EK will be. I thought hasport had a kit for it but I can't find it now.

I am just trying to figure out how difficult it is because I may not have the money for a hydro tranny. Does anyone know where I can find a kit to put the cable tranny into my 96 EK?

Back