Please help. Bad intake gasket leak and possible vacuum hose leak

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jjjonboiii

I just put a y8 IM back on my y8 head and engine now idles between 4k and 5k. I sprayed cleaner between the head and IM and the engine bogged. The only reason i think there could be a vacuum leak is i don't know why it would idle so high with just a leaking intake gasket. I used a new gasket, cleaned both surfaces of the old gasket material, and torqued the nuts in the correct sequence and to the correct weight. Please help

you will need to take the manifold off again and seal up the vacuum hole in the middle top part of the manifold me and a couple friends just use duct tape or you can use the silver aluminum tape. the hole doesn't get covered up since the y8 head is different than any other head... nevermind what i just said i just saw that you put it back on the y8 head did you make sure you bought a y8 gasket. if not keep a close eye on where you spray the brake cleaner and see where it sucks in at..

it's sucking in all along the top.

do you thin that it would have anything to do with the fact it's so cold in my garage? i dont see why it would but it doesn't make a lot of sense. i even tightend the nuts 1/4 turn more. it help a little until i sprayed it with cleaner again, then it started surging, i turned the engine off and then back on and it shot up to 4500 again

Put a thin layer of "gasket sealer," or whatever that grey stuff is called on the intake gasket.

No dont do that. Thats not the right way to fix it. Remove th manifold and get a new gasket. Make sure any old gasket is removed. Check to make sure the manifold flange is flat and not warped. Spraying carb cleaner and having a bog is a vacuum leak for sure you need to find it.

turns out either my head or intake is warped. I'm pretty sure it's the head. i was told to take both and get them machined but i think i'm going to find one that isn't warped and rebuild it. might as well get the work done now while i'm pulling my engine apart. any suggestions on a head other than a oem Y8 head to replace the Y* head with? looking for anything that will give me some more compression and flow without messing with he pistons

Back