please help car wont start dont no why?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

91accordwithwork

kid that everyone loves!
ok so i was driving around for around 15 minutes and then i turn the car off.

when i get back in to drivew home, i try to start, and it wouldnt turn over,

Now i do need a new radiator idk if that means anything, and i also need a new P.S pump,
other than those 2 things my car should be good, check engine is not on and it seemed good.

so anyway i got back into the car and i tried turning the key 3 or 4 times, and finally it started up and ran rough and i got home.....

so idk whats wronge any ideas please please please i really wana find out whats wronge,

P.S idk why my cold air intake keeps huffing also , idk what that is either

please help!

wait whats the main relay?

and i will try to give more info ask me question please try to help it would mean a lot to me

thanks!

Main relay is an electrical switch for the fuel pump, located behind dash panel about where your left knee is on driver side. Usually car starts fine for the first time of day, then after car is parked for a few, it's difficult to start. Sound like what your experiencing? Main relay is a black or dark grey plastic box about the size of your palm, the bottom of relay is sometimes grey or a reddish color, don't really remember, it's been a while. I ALSO SEE YOU SAID IT RAN ROUGH, WHAT KIND OF ENGINE AND/OR WORK HAVE YOU HAD DONE.

Last edited:
first off thanks for al the help

that is whats happening it starts fine , then takes a bit to start when it sits,

and i got a normal stock 16 valve with a few small mods to it, new plugs new cold air intake(which huffs alot DONT NO WHY???)

and thats about it,

anything else it coul dbe that it sounds like?

thanks

should i go ahead and change the main reley? or shoul di wait?

and why is my check engine light not on, if it were on at least i cud go get it dianoised u no what i mean?

wait! I just had a thought. You said it wouldn't turn over but then it started and ran rough. Check the connections on the battery. they may be loose.

Ok, if after you manage to start the car it runs good, then i would start with replacing the main relay, if it runs rough after starting then i may have to agree with efhondakid, possible distributor problem, which could be causing the huffing noise from intake, also check your spark plug gap, or see if plugs gets soaked with gas, if they are soaked then it could be the dizzy. The main relay would be the cheapest way to start. If that doesn't help, try swapping dizzy with good known dizzy. Main realy is not connected to obd system and would not trigger check engine light, distributor might depending on the problem.

dizzy=distributor. In general, they commonly do go bad on many older Hondas(mainly the ignitor).

Cranking or starting? If it's not cranking at all, probably dead battery or bad connections.

no its cranking, but sometimes it take 3 or 4 turns of the key to start, and yah i thinkim going to go ahead and buy a new dizzy and a new main reley, and yes my plugs did have some sort of fluid on them, yah my intake huffs a lot and also my exaust huffs too, is that the distributor ?? if so arnt they like 100 bucks off ebay or ant any art store?

thanks guys!

Ok, now we're getting closer. The fluid on the plugs are you able to identify it. It can be 1 of 3 things. First if it's gas then your problem is not the main relay, could be plug or dizzy problem, if it's oil, then there is internal oil leak or other problem. If it's coolant then it's possible your head gasket, have you notice white smoke from your exhaust, or had a recent overheat?

Well just going off of the situation the Fluid is probably gas, he's been trying to crank it and if it hasn't sparked then the plugs are definately going to be soaked in gas.

yah i think the fluid is either gas or oil, not coolant im pretty sure, so what im asking from all u nice great people is , with all these things what can any of u guys determin wat this is??? shoul di start by buying a new radiator(mines shot) a new main reley, and a new distributor????

if not any of those thigns what could it bne?

thanks guys!

Very simple way to tell. Pull a spark plug. If its black and smells like oil, it's oil. If its not black and smell like gas, it's gas.

My advice is don't go out and spend the money to do it all at once. I'd first check the plugs. From what it sounds like it's not the main relay because it's getting fuel. Check to see if your car is getting a spark. If you have any questions on how to do this, check this out.
How do i check for spark? - Yahoo! Answers The first answer explains it in good detail.

If you're not getting a good spark, swap in a new distributor :)

I also agree, if it's not gas, don't replace the main relay. As far as the oil, depending on how soaked the plugs are, they can prevent the plug from firing. Clean the plugs and check for spark. Now, if it's oil the plugs would be covered with a black gook, gas would be clear as long as the plugs are clean, and you would smell gas, coolant gives off a somewhat sweet smell.

Last edited:
Also, if it is oil, you need to find out how it's getting in to the spark plug chamber, but the main thing is to find out what that fluid on the plugs, is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back