**please help! d16z6 for a d16y7?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stewie4

Hey guys;

I have a 2000 honda civic CX 2dr hatchback with a d16y7 in it. I can get a SOHC V.TEC d16z6 for free and want to swap it in since the d16y7 is having some issues and probably won't pass it's next emissions test. Is this possible? I'm getting it out of a car that's on it's way to the dump this week so I can take as much of it as I want, providing I can manage to get it out. PS do you think I can get this engine out without a jack/lift?

it is absolutely possible.
youll need to do an obd2>obd1 conversion (meaning youll need a conversion harness)
get the ECU, engine, transmission (for gearing purposes) and whatever other parts that are in better shape on the donor car. everything will basically be a direct swap.

youre going to need at least a floor jack to get the d16z6 out. id recommend stands and a jack at the very least. cinder blocks if you dont have stands.

Where are you located? What kind of inspections do you have to go through? If it's just an emissions test, then you'll probably be fine with this swap, but generally, swapping an older engine into a newer chassis is not technically legal. If they actually inspect for things like this where you live, then you may get in trouble with this...

Back