Please Help - del Sol Swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

teezy420

You guys might like to hear this. I just sold my 1997 Camaro Z28 and finally bought what I've always wanted, a Honda del Sol. Now it's time to make it faster than the Z28 was. Since it's a 1993 Si with the sohc engine i figured the first thing i should do is do an engine and trans swap. So, I started searching the web for reputable JDM motor shops. I found one that seems to be, totaljdm.com. Anyway the engine that most impressed me that they sell was the Prelude H22A Type S. Here's what it comes with bedides the motor:

Items Included with the Swap:
5-Speed Manual Hydraulic Transmission
Engine Control Unit (ECU)
Wiring Harness
Distributor
Intake Manifold
Exhaust Manifold
Alternator
Air Conditioning Pump
Power Steering Pump
Vtec Solenoid
Half Shaft (Intermediate Shaft)

Available Options (if in-stock):
Shift Linkage: $70.00USD

Now I know I'd need mounts soI found those at hasport.com , I figured since they made the mounts this swap is definately possible. But just how difficult? This is my first experience with an import and I know nothing about working on cars, so I'm gonna have a shop do this swap when the time comes. So, can anyone please tell me if this swap is feasible? Would I need any other parts for the swap into a 93 del Sol si besides what's included in the package? Would the prelude transmission fit in the del Sol? Would any custom fabrication be necessary? Please any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom

Just the H22 swap will probally not be enough to be faster then your z28. Personally, the h22 is not the best engine to put in there. Search for a post by IBspec or Importbuilders about h22/h23. He is one of the best honda builders in the country, and he will not even touch h22's.

what did the z28 run?? and was it an auto or a stick...

colin, on gratiot...errr.. at the drag strip ;).. last season i beat some kid in an auto z28 and he was absolutely amazed..

was that with the b16 or after the LSVTEC swap? What style was it?

<----Ran a 14.9 at martan dragway (martan is faster then milan)

the h22 is not the best engine to put in there

but its the fastest. Oh and since ImportBuilders doesnt like them then that means they are shit motors and honda doesnt know what they are doing when they design a motor. Maybe they dont like the motor because the internals arent as strong for FI. You stick with your little b16's and well go with our heavy ass h22's that are in reality not much quicker than a b16. Go put a b16 in a prelude and tell me thats just about as quick as the h22

preludes are slow as crap. They have way nicer lines than the rest of the hondacars though. Nicest looking hondas period. I like the 97-up preludes even more than my acura. And its not that h22's are bad motors, it's just the trannies they come with are probably the worst shifting trannies honda ever came out with. They were designed for middle aged wankers that are used to driving their v6 accords. In fact, the reason preludes aren't sold anymore is because the accord coupe was aimed at the same demographic as the prelude, and the accord sold more. preludes stopped selling after the accord coupe (97-up I think also) came out with a v6.

I always wondered how the v6 engine stood next to the other honda engines. I bet it prolly puts out decent amount of hp but is it super super heavy ?

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@May 3 2004, 08:47 AM
You stick with your little b16's and well go with our heavy ass h22's that are in reality not much quicker than a b16. Go put a b16 in a prelude and tell me thats just about as quick as the h22

The first part of this makes no sence, and the second part is one of the most retarded arguments I have ever heard.

colin,

i ran a 14.3 @ 99.98 at martin.. it was with the lsvtec when i did the gratiot thing.. i cant specifically recall what year it was because i dont know a whole lot about them..

my favorite martin story ever is whooping the shit out of some kid in a purple mustang with all of his friends there.. they were all talking all kinda of shit... he ran a 14.7 to my 14.3 it was great. shut those hillbillies up

Originally posted by 92b16vx+May 3 2004, 05:41 AM-->
H22AdelSol
@May 3 2004, 08:47 AM
You stick with your little b16's and well go with our heavy ass h22's that are in reality not much quicker than a b16. Go put a b16 in a prelude and tell me thats just about as quick as the h22

The first part of this makes no sence, and the second part is one of the most retarded arguments I have ever heard.

Yeah it is pretty damn retarded, i hear this shit all day long, go put turbo on b16 and itll be faster than h22, well go put turbo on h22 and then tell me what youve got... All you fanboys can say what you want but track times proove it. No im not an h series fanboy, there huge, heavy and the oil pan sits to low. Performance over convienence.

nvrmind this is stupid i dont even give a shit anymore about what uninformed ppl say.

Tom,

Do as you wish. H22's are truly tempermental motors. They're not unreliable. But they are expensive to work on. If built right the h22 is fast as hell. The tranny configuration does leave something to be desired. (It uses cables for it's shift linkage).

The h22 is heavy though. While in a del sol it isn't that bad (because the del sol is a heavier chasis than most civics), it is heavy, just keep this in mind when configuring your suspension.

My auto-lsd h22 (with 1.8" stock accord exhaust) runs low-14's. That's it. No aftermarket parts..except for the ghetto intake and dc header (only used because I lost my JDM downpipe).

It will cost you a little more to get the h22 in your sol.

Personally I would just get a b-series and build it. Again, it's realtively cheap to fully build a b-series.

I think it's b.s. that people say h22's are unrealible blah..blah..blah . Those people just don't know what the fuck they're doing.

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@May 3 2004, 06:44 PM
look

Yeah your right IBspec wont touch H22's asmallsol...

Did you even read that thread? He is just doing that for himself, then he goes on to list 11 reasons off the top of his head why he won't, and the major downsides to the h-series.

Originally posted by H22AdelSol+May 3 2004, 05:52 PM-->
Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 3 2004, 05:41 AM
H22AdelSol
@May 3 2004, 08:47 AM

Yeah it is pretty damn retarded, i hear this shit all day long, go put turbo on b16 and itll be faster than h22, well go put turbo on h22 and then tell me what youve got... All you fanboys can say what you want but track times proove it. No im not an h series fanboy, there huge, heavy and the oil pan sits to low. Performance over convienence.

nvrmind this is stupid i dont even give a shit anymore about what uninformed ppl say.

Come back when you have a legitimate argument, instead of pulling shit out of your ass from what your ricer friends have said on Friday nights.

Thanks for the help sleepn accord. I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not, but totaljdm claims the h22 setup i was lookin at comes with a hydraulic trans. heres the link, let me know.

Total JDM H22A Type S

Originally posted by teezy420@May 4 2004, 03:47 AM
Thanks for the help sleepn accord. I'm not sure if this is what you meant or not, but totaljdm claims the h22 setup i was lookin at comes with a hydraulic trans. heres the link, let me know.

Total JDM H22A Type S

Hydraulic tranny is the system that the car uses to actuate the clutch, the older Civics had cable actuated trannies. By cable, in this case, they mean the shiftlinkage. The H22A uses two cables to shift gears, while the Civic/Integras use two rods.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 3 2004, 10:27 PM

The H22A uses two cables to shift gears, while the Civic/Integras use two rods.

Actually, the b-series uses one rod, and a stabilizer bar that runs parallel to keep the tranny from moving around in relation to the shifter. If you want to be technical anyway.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+May 4 2004, 08:20 AM-->
@May 3 2004, 10:27 PM

The H22A uses two cables to shift gears, while the Civic/Integras use two rods.

Actually, the b-series uses one rod, and a stabilizer bar that runs parallel to keep the tranny from moving around in relation to the shifter. If you want to be technical anyway.

Well, if we are getting technical, try using the shiftlinkage without the torque rod, not very useful huh? So yes, technically, they do use two rods to shift gears.

I'm not saying I'm not going with the H22A, but seems most of you guys don't like that idea. So how do you feel about an F20B going into the del Sol?

Originally posted by teezy420@May 4 2004, 01:09 PM
I'm not saying I'm not going with the H22A, but seems most of you guys don't like that idea. So how do you feel about an F20B going into the del Sol?

Even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back