Please help! Fuel pump maybe??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Andrew

Ok, heres the long and skinny.

Driving up the road to the Chiropractor, granny'n it(shifting at ~2500 'cept on the freeway) and out of nowhere my car stalls on me and won't start back up!! I was at a light, and when it turned green, I let out the clutch-everythings fine- and then it stalls.. I've got plenty of gas in my tank(full), and was pressing the accelerator plenty enough NOT to stall out. Got it pushed into parking lot/towed home....

It turns over but will NOT start up.

I went through and put new spark plugs, dist. cap & rotor, and a new fuel Filter in, but no progress(but I'm sure my tired Rex didnt mind the tune up)

It still turns over, but no ingniting/combustion... hence my thoughts as to a faulty fuel pump.

Tommorow I'll go out and see if I can hear the pump turning on with the key.
If it doesnt... that would mean I have a bad pump?

I appreciate the help, fellas! I'll give you that update tomorrow after lunch..
Thanks
-Andrew

I doubt it's your fuel pump. Turn the ignition to 'on' and then unscrew your fuel filter bleeder bolt. If fuel comes out, you've got fuel pressure.

I HIGHLY doubt it's your fuel pump.

I'd bet that it's your ignitor. Replace the whole distributor and see what happens.

first, when you get in, turn the key to see if the fuel pump makes noise and starts to prime the system. if it does, it could be the fuel filter. that is where i would start. it's the cheapest and easiest.

i would try popping the clutch. it could be a lot more stuff. look for any type of loose ground wires. it could also be the battery or alternator. could be a starter to, depending on what it's doing. there is a lot to analyze so update us with stuff that you try and do. keep it simple to start out with. check the easy stuff first.

First off Thanks for the fast replys.

Quoted post[/post]]
I doubt it's your fuel pump. Turn the ignition to 'on' and then unscrew your fuel filter bleeder bolt. If fuel comes out, you've got fuel pressure.

I HIGHLY doubt it's your fuel pump.

I'd bet that it's your ignitor. Replace the whole distributor and see what happens.

I'd rather not start off by replacing the dist. I changed the little grey pack(ignitor?), cap/rotor.. is that all thats required?? I'd rather not replace it when I'm about to Mini-me it with a brand new head/dist....
But I'll keep that in mind.

Quoted post[/post]]
first, when you get in, turn the key to see if the fuel pump makes noise and starts to prime the system. if it does, it could be the fuel filter. that is where i would start. it's the cheapest and easiest.

i would try popping the clutch. it could be a lot more stuff. look for any type of loose ground wires. it could also be the battery or alternator. could be a starter to, depending on what it's doing. there is a lot to analyze so update us with stuff that you try and do.

keep it simple to start out with. check the easy stuff first.
The Fuel filter is the FIRST thing I touched/replaced. when i pulled the little cap off, it leaked about... idk... a mL of gas??? barely any.. idk what that means...

Battery terminals are cleaned and torqued down, and the battery is good.
Starter is near-brand new. it's still shiny, and the engine spins, but no combustion.
Didnt think about the alternator, BUT it wouldnt just stall on me if the Alt. went out....

Thats what I've done. I've done a complete tune up. still nothing.

Quoted post[/post]]
Or a timing belt! :cry:

I sure hope not, but my friend did touch on that...
When I do the mini-me, I'll obviously replace it, but I need a daily driver now!

Thanks again, and I'll look over everything again today... I'm pretty sure I've covered all the simple stuff.

-Andrew

check for spark..... take spark plug out connect it to a plug wire and ground the plug somewhere to check for spark.

check for fuel..... fuel will be under pressure with the pump on. you can take a line off and turn key, if its working gas should spray out. Go from there after you have established those two things.

Ok, update:

I have fuel pressure. My fuel pump is turning on and whirring like normal.

I'll check for spark in the morning. I can tell you guys that it will not start up, even when a little starting fluid is shot into the TB.. it just won't fire up.

Progress i've made is gutted the battery/surrounding areas and cleaned/de-greased and repainted a few big parts(battery plate, holder, and Windsheild wiper motor.)...

I'll see about spark tomorrow.
-Andrew

Quoted post[/post]]
Ok, update:

I have fuel pressure. My fuel pump is turning on and whirring like normal.

I'll check for spark in the morning. I can tell you guys that it will not start up, even when a little starting fluid is shot into the TB.. it just won't fire up.

Progress i've made is gutted the battery/surrounding areas and cleaned/de-greased and repainted a few big parts(battery plate, holder, and Windsheild wiper motor.)...

I'll see about spark tomorrow.
-Andrew
If you have fuel, it's probably a spark issue.
Take off your distributor cap and have someone try to start the car, if the rotor turns, your timing belt is still on (but still possibly slipped time) if the rotor does not move proceed to remove the engine and install a new one! :cry:

if the rotor does not move proceed to remove the engine and install a new one! :cry:

Whys that?
I'll be doing a Mini-me here pretty soon, but I still need it driving... as of two days ago.....

Could it be my main relay(the one by the fuses under the dash)?
I'll change it anyway. I was told it could be adding to the problem(if not causing it).

I've checked all my fuses(under the dash and in the engine bay), and there all 'A-ok'...

I don't get it.
New:
Dist. Cap
Dist. Rotor
Dist. Ignition Coil
Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs

... Still nothing....

Checking Timing belt now.

Any Ideas?

thats exactly what happened with my car when the timing belt. i would have checked that first. It was runnning fine i let the clutch out and it stopped and never started again. took the cover off and there was a bunched up timing belt. hope you find out the problem

Back