PLEASE HELP> MAJOR PROBLEM!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SpoonTuNed

I have a 97 gsr, today when i was driving down the highway i went to down shift and when i pushed in the clutch it went straight to the floor and i couldn't shift. I nursed it back to my house and thought maybe the slave cylinder went out so i changed it and bled it hella good and still no clutch action. The clutch wont engage at all. the cylinder moves and the lever moves but the clutch pedal is hella soft and cant get it into any gear. Please let me if you have any idea what this is, I hella appreciate it. Thanks

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Sep 21 2005, 12:11 AM
Damn never thought about, you think that'd just go out like that though? thanks
[post=557522]Quoted post[/post]​

Yea, i'm not too sure how else they would go out?
My prelude cyl went out, and i didn't get a "Hey! I'm about to stop working" flag or nuttin :(
Maybe your TO bearing broke, is your slave cyl trying to push on the 'fork' thing on the tranny?
You really only need a push, use your shift points thereafter. :)

the slave is moving the "fork" thing, see i thought maybe the throw out bearing took a shit too, but i just put a whole new clutch in about 200 miles ago. Im gonna try replacing the master cyl before tearing the tranny out. thanks

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Sep 21 2005, 06:21 PM
the slave is moving the "fork" thing, see i thought maybe the throw out bearing took a shit too, but i just put a whole new clutch in about 200 miles ago. Im gonna try replacing the master cyl before tearing the tranny out. thanks
[post=558011]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm guessing the TO bearing is toasted...
Someone join in here, but if the MC was broken, wouldn't the slave cyl not push on the 'fork' at all, since there would be no pressure?
If your TO bearing fell off/broke/went camping, these same symptoms would show.
:(
Good luck, and keep us posted.
:)

Originally posted by SpoonTuNed@Sep 21 2005, 12:05 AM
I have a 97 gsr, today when i was driving down the highway i went to down shift and when i pushed in the clutch it went straight to the floor and i couldn't shift. I nursed it back to my house and thought maybe the slave cylinder went out so i changed it and bled it hella good and still no clutch action. The clutch wont engage at all. the cylinder moves and the lever moves but the clutch pedal is hella soft and cant get it into any gear. Please let me if you have any idea what this is, I hella appreciate it. Thanks
[post=557516]Quoted post[/post]​

I have a friend that had a similar problem. The clutch pedal became soft and the gears could not be shifted. It turned out to be that one or two of the pressure plate spring fingers had bent and were not disengaging the clutch. It was an ACT clutch/pressure plate. This was more than a year after the install, though.

I had something along the lines of that happen to me. Went to shift and pedel just hit the floor. Changed out the master cylinder because I noticed it was leaking back onto the firewall. That didn't change anything. Turned out to be one of the disc springs had broken, had to replace the clutch and the flywheel.

I had a complete clutch system failure. All at once.

Clutch was not releasing, at all...

Master cylinder was dumping fluid down inside firewall, so I changed it.
Slave cylinder was leaking fluid, and the boot was full. So I changed it.

Still broken.

So I ripped out the transmission, and the clutch's springs had broken out of their housings, gouging the flywheel and the pressure plate. Changed both.

The throw out bearing was toast. Changed it.

The pilot bearing was very gritty and loose feeling, so it was on its way out. Changed it.

Yes, I replaced EVERY component of my clutch system except for the flywheel (the gouges machined out, and it is within spec)

and the hose from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder.

So, It could be EVERYTHING :eek: Have a good day :D

thanks for all the input guys, I changed out the master cyl. today and still doing the same thing. Im guessing its something to do with either the disk press. plate or throw out bearing. This sucks i only have like 200 miles on this motor and clutch, and now i have to tear it all apart....again. thanks again guys i'll let you know and if its bad i'll take pics. the wierd thing is, i drove home from 12 miles away with no clutch just letting the r;s drop till itd fall into gear and theres no noises.

When my clutch went out I replaced everything as well. MS was leaking along the firewall as well. SS wasn't leaking hardly at all but it was just one less thing to do later. Change disk and pressure plate as well as both bearings. Also swapped out my ls tranny that was grinding in third for a gsr tranny for $400 that is really smooth. And to top it off, the grooves in the flywheel were to deep to machine out, so I went and got a new Fidanza flywheel. Felt like I had a whole new car.

Back