Please help me! about 130+ views no response lol. Oil Pump question, engine downgrade

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hello, i posted this question on three different forums, lol and no one said anything. lol no response at ALL. i am doing an obd1 block and head in a 1997 civic with odb2 wiring. SO i have to switch out the oil pump because the obd1 engine doesnt have that crank sensor. i am going NUTS over here trying to get that crank pulley bolt off, (you know which one i am talking about ) it just wont BUDGED. So now i am wondering, What if i just bought one of those obd2b to obd1 ecu conversion harnesses? Would i have to switch out any other sensors because i am using a obd2 intake manifold? if it would work, would i just leave the crank sensor plug, unplugged? OR could i just ground the crank sensor wires and just use the obd2 ecu? Please help me get out of this mess the easiest and cheapest way possible. A ecu conversion thing is only $45, but i am not sure if that is the best of way doing things, and if that will even help me. please help me. it will be the best thing in the world to me. i would EXTREMELY EXTREMELY appreciate it. thank you so much. Please respond to this, tell me ANYTHING. thanks

bump, but i don't know squat about your problem :shrug2: g'luck! there are smarties on this site that should be able to decipher what you're saying ;)

your local snap on guy has a honda crank pully removal tool or just find someone with a strong enough compressor.....in all reality the motor isnt that heavy put it in a truck and bring it somewhere to get zapped off:rolleyes:....people in ny do the conversion than cry to me when they cant get their car inspected:mad:

inspection, what do you mean by that? i never thought about that. would that leave my check engine light on? lol i broke 2 sockets and used a pretty nice breaker bar with an exhaust (lol) extension. Please help me out and tell me what you think. thanks so much!

im not sure but i believe if u buy the harness and get a p28 u shouldnt have the check engine light on but dont quote me on dat all i knw dat the p28 doent a cranck senser

thanks so much, good tip! i have a p07 i could chip it too. hey, you think if i got the conversion, i would even need to do the trick? and if i do the conversion, would i have to change anything else around? like any sensors on the intake manifold? sorry to overwhelm you with questions, but you sound like you know what your talking about lol. thanks

Just change the oil pump you need an impact to break it off tho..Just get you a big cresent wrench (monkey wrench) and hold on to the pulley and then put your impact on it.. It should do the job.Let me know wha happens?

You broke two sockets?? You were using the impact sockets right (the black ones)??

If the motor still runs and is in the car, just drive it to a garage and ask if they can loosen it for you with there impact guns.

Since you working on oil pump already, just drop the oil pan and wedge a peice of 2x4 between the crank and block. Use a really long breaker bar and turn.

If this doesn't work then you got a bigger problem...

I bet he wasn't using impact sockets.. one of my co-workers had a 600 ft/lbs impact that blew two of my Snap-On chrome sockets to bits in a matter of seconds on a stubborn crank pulley bolt :lol:

lol then i have got a problem lol (@ the breaker bar) and btw, i cracked the stockets with the breaker, (so you all dont think i am an idoit) and i do have the pulley nicely stopped from moving, by using a screw driver in the flywheel. I was thinking, does anyone know if i just use a conversion harness with a p28 or even a p06 ecu, if ill need to use that sensor? the obd1 civics dont have them. but if i do that, then will i have to switch around any other sensors, maybe on the intake manifold?

lol by now you could have threw it in the back of a truck and drove ti to a shop and been like hey...i cant get this pully off:( and they will be like hey check out my huge compressor and my impact gun:D and yea you guys can chip all ya want i jus normally do things they way they should be done, i would only use a conversion harness when i am putting a k20 into a obd1 or 0 car and same things with h series into 95 or older.....theres nothing more than a pain in the ass when you can keep gettign inspection tickets because your obd1 ecu wont connect with the inspecton dock

You can make it work with the sub-harness and correct ecu.

The main question is do you live in a state that requires emission testing. If you do then you would fail the test. On 96+ vehicles, they just plug in a computer to your daignostic port and pull codes. If no codes come up then you're free, if codes then you need to fix.

Problem is using the older ecu, the testing computer would not be able to communicate with the ecu. Meaning you just failed the test...

well u still wont pass by usind a adapter harness for the ecu but wen u go for inspection u will fail cause the machine wont be able 2 read obd2 since ur running obd1 ecu

Back