1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

please help me avoid doing something dumb!!

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by hatukazi, Oct 11, 2007.

1. hatukazi

hatukazi ambitious...but rubbish

I am going to look at a 90 crx SI with an obd0 B16 swap in it. I have talked to the person who did the swap (diy) and he says it runs "laggy" in first gear but pretty normal 2nd and up. also some backfiring in first gear. the VTEC works.

My guess (for all that's worth) is that if it starts and runs nothing should be wrong with the engine itself, probably wired wrong or timed wrong.

I am going to check it out this weekend so I want to be fully prepared by then.
    I have a compression tester( not a leakdown checker though) which I will bring with me.

I need to know if there are some definate "red flags" to look out for, and how I go about checking the timing, I can rent a timing light from checker.

I am HOPING that I can get the car, pull the harness and redo it and have a sweet car. your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated as I really want a rex(was hoping for a D16 Si though) but I am working with a trade that no one seems to want, no cash:(

2. 91si

91si New Member

d16 BLAH!
    B16 POWA!

3. hatukazi

yeah, but A, I get a lot of tickets. and B D16's are cheeeeeep!
    I have never been able to afford the B16 yet also so have no idea what to check up on.

4. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

i would check your timing. you may also need a tune up. check the plugs, maybe change the dizzy and wires. all that stuff. start simple and cheap. don't worry about a swap. the b16 is a great engine in a crx.

5. hatukazi

the B16 is already in the car I'm going to look at. I dont want to trade myself into a job that I cant handle. I've always wanted a crx and I've made rash impulsive decisions before. the car I have now runs fine, it just looks like hell, see...
    [​IMG]

6. khrisb

khrisb ******

looks ok except for the front end conversion

switch it back or fix that front end and you're golden

7. hatukazi

changing the front for me is not a viable option, I hate the whole car from the filled in body lines, the leather seats, the front end with the 99 upper rad. support welded on and the color. I was in desperate need of a backseat and traded my del-sol for this car. I regret it every day I walk outside and see this ghetto rigged POS sitting in my driveway. I also hate the LS engine/trans swap.
    this car is coming very close to making me hate hondas.
    I can trade it for a crx with a B16 swap, the crx runs, but not correctly, I REALLY REALLY want the rex but dont want to get my self into another hopeless ghetto rig project.
    also I have little to no money, I can re-wire the crx, adjust the timing (when I learn how) and tune it up, also need to know USDM parts for cap,rotor, wires, maybe a timing belt? so I can order parts from my local Honda dealer.

I need help to know what I'm looking for on the rex that would make it a definate NO for me.

8. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

Get the rex, I have an EF B16 and love it every second of the day. Not to talk bad but trade that haggered piece of shit and smile. :)

9. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

as far as parts go order for a 95 del sol dohc vtec except the dizzy needs to be obd0

10. hatukazi

if rhe rex has no holes I think it's a done deal, are all OBD0 dizzy's the same?

11. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

As far as I know the are not. Distributor King has them for obd0 b16a

12. hatukazi

thanks a bunch, if I end up getting the rex I'll throw up pics and what I didi to make it run right.
    the LS I have now has 4 timing marks on the crank pulley I am assuming the 3 that are close together are where it should be at idle and the other one is for high rpm?

13. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

The middle of the 3 that are close together is the base timing, and the ones above and below that are +2 and -2 degrees from base timing which are all checked at idle.

If you haven't looked at the crx yet make sure you test the compression and also see if there are any existing engine light codes in the computer. You have to pull up the carpet and look at the cover of the ECU on the OBD-0 and there will be a red LED light in the cover that flashes when you turn the key on if it has any codes stored. As long as your compression is good chances are the motor is ok...

14. hatukazi

thank you so much, I thought that was the case, but I've been known to think wrong before.
    usually when I look at a car I put my ear real close to the valve cover to hear if theres any clicking or noises and check the oil on the dipstick to see if it feels grainy or looks very black like someone doesn't change it often.
    also check the ground where it was parked for leaks.
    my dad also says backfiring is usually a timing issue, as far as I know I should hook up power and ground to the timing light and something else should hook up to the #1 spark plug wire?

15. 91_civic_si

91_civic_si New Member

Just dont put it off too long. I would get rid of that ugly duckling while someone wants it. Try to keep the wheels for the CRX if it just has steelies

16. norcalgsr

norcalgsr Honda Master Technician

There should be 3 wires coming off the timing light.. power, ground, and a 3rd clamp that goes around the #1 wire.

It sounds like they probably messed up something in the wiring when doing the swap, which is pretty common. Just make sure the engine is good by doing a compression test.. that's the #1 priority. If the compression is bad then run away!

Also make sure you check for ECU codes after running/driving the car. You can learn a lot about why it's running poorly based on what codes the ECU is producing..

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted