1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help me decide

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by adnoh, May 24, 2005.

Which one?

1. Tein Super Street Damper w/o pillowball mount

100.0%
  2. Koni Sport / Ground Control Coilover (Default Spring rate) Co

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

Hey guys,

So I have it down to two choices....I can get them for the same price. They will be used mainly for aggressive street, and a few lapping days per summer.

About warranty stuff.......I know the Koni/GC setup has a lifetime warranty, but what of the Tein? What of corrosion as well? I live in Canada eh? Lots of salt.

Now, I already know who's going to say that Tein sucks..... :ph34r: But I've also heard great things of their coilover setups.

I also know that when it comes time for warranty stuff, or broken parts, most cases the Koni's are going to be easier to service, but once again, I'm in Toronto....both require shipping them out to diffrent countries.

Personally.....I'm at a stalemate. I like the 16-way dampening of the Tein, but the Koni sports are just killer shocks. I dunno. Any testimonials?

Thanks dudes.

2. n1mr0d

n1mr0d Senior Member

I have koni yellows and GC custom spring rates for my EJ and they own j00! The car rotates when you want an not until you want it to.

3. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I like my Teins, but they're the FLEX system and not the SS. I'd almost say it's a tossup between the SS and the GC/Koni, but I personally would still go with the SS and get stiffer rear springs.

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Theaded body > sleeved coilover 99.9% of the time. And like Mike said, get a tighter spring, their rates are the suck.

5. jdmeg6

jdmeg6 Senior Member

I'm happy with my Ground Control/Tokico setup. I would stick with the GC/Koni setup over the Tein setup unless you are going all out and getting the expensive yet adjustable Tein setup.

6. phunky.buddha

The rates aren't that bad- but you Tein allows for 2kg/mm variation either softer or stiffer on the stock chock valving, so you might as well take advantage of it. I went 2kg/mm stiffer in the rear on my FLEX system, and I love it. I also liked the way a totally stock SS system without pillowballs felt on a 96-98 EX sedan.

7. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Only Mike Yu knows what his spring rates are in kg/mm...

you think too much, Mike.

Allow me to put this into terms for those of us without 34 years of college: Teins definitely kick ass. Buy stiffer springs for them, though.

8. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

Hey Will, How are your SS's holding up to corrosion and normal wear/tear?

Also, anyone know of the warranty information I asked about?

Thanks very much for replies so far guys.

9. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

Typically coilovers are developed to work with the dampening rates of the strut, and the rates of the spring. The Teins would be the best choice. :thumbsup:

10. civicious

civicious FüK-VTEC VIP

Other than a little bit of dirt/grime/etc., they're holding up great. No problems whatsoever. And I'm pretty sure the Tein's come with SOME sort of warranty...

11. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

Thanks dude,

I've e-mailed Tein about the warranty.....just for reference, I'll post up the reply when I get it.

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

even i would choose the ss over a gc set up.
    GC's do nothing for me. i've never liked them. i hate their allen bolt locking crap... can't get at it 80% of the duration... and its ALWAYS in the back when its level :bash:

13. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

:blink: Christ...the one person who I thought would bash the Teins...didn't bash them..... So I guess on a whole, the SS's are they way to go. I hope they send me some good warranty info.

14. phunky.buddha

B was given a choice between two companies- now "Do Teins suck?". If he was asked that, I'm sure he would have based on them. :) Teins are a good value, but they're not the best value- plus you have other brands out there like Silkroad :p, Buddy Club, HKS, Spooooooooooooooon etc...

15. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

If you want a serious piece of suspension, KW Variant 3's. Very nice, resist corrosion like a sumbitch, and the variant 2's are a decent price, and a great combo. Just throwing something else out there for ya.

16. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

Tein's response to my questions:

Getting them tomorrow night. I'll post pics on Monday, away for the weekend. Thanks for all the help :)

17. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

I think I am going to email Tein today about there recomendation on winter driving. I have had my teins for 2 years now (I bought them used) and I live in michigan where they put down an inch of salt for every inch of snow. Before I put mine on, I read alot about them seizing up. I then put antiseize all over the threaded body. I still have zero problems with them (haven't touch them this year though. We will see in a week or so) Last year before my first track event, I completely took apart my suspension, cleaned them up completely, then reinstalled. Everything was perfect. Antiseize is the best way to avoid rust.

18. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

Good tip dude, I'll definately keep that in mind while installing. Definately tell that to Tein...I don't think using white lithium grease or something of that nature is going to hold up to the amounts of salt the trucks in Toronto put down in the winter :p

19. phunky.buddha

20. adnoh

adnoh Senior Member

:werd:

Will do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted