PLEASE HELP!!motor knocking/pinging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sbc

my engine is pinging like a mofo under load at low rpms. i tried using octane boost and it reduced the noise but not by much. the current compression is 12.5:1, if i lower the compression can that stop the damn pinging? and how would i go about lowering it. im using a p28 ecu which doesnt search for a knock sensor, if i use the p72 will that help at all???
any suggestions please! thanks~

what gas are you using? maybe you need to get the thing tuned, do you have at least a vafc? try putting some race gas in there 100+ octane, the boosters dont really do shit.

i just swapped this motor in about 2 weeks ago, and dont have a vafc. im running on a p28 hondata s200 and dont know much about it yet. and the highest octane gas in my area is damn 91 :angry:

I've ran a G'zer motor with that much compression before with 91 octane and it ran fine. It would be wise to remove the valve cover and double check your valve clearance once more. Remember to set it while the engine is cold. It might've worked its way back a little under those anxious foot. Plus having a chipped ecu probably makes it run a little too rich. A vafc and if your budget allows a dyno would definitely help.
P.S. While u have the valve cover off, double check your timing also. Good luck...

Relax, this isnt a big deal. I just drove to L.A. from Pheonix, and back, with 12.5:1 compression. First what is your timing set at? If you are running the base program. You should be about 12 to 13 degrees of base timing. Secondly what is your fuel pressure? I would try around 40 to 42 lbs to be safe. You may need more or less, just get it on a dyno with a wideband. If you have hondata all these parameters can be tuned to your situation. Also you might want to go with a heat range colder plug. After I got back from L.A. my car would ping at high load, high RPM. Tried mor fuel and that didnt work so I went with NGK heat range 7 instead of 6. No more pinging.

thanks no2psi for your suggestions. i think i am going to get a dyno tune soon but wont be able to do it for another 2 weeks. its occasional pinging it isnt constant that would be ok to drive daily wouldnt it?
thanx

what are you thinking trying to run 12.5:1 compression without tuning!?! go to a hondata dealer and get the thing tuned and it should solve all your problems. your just gonna screw up the motor if you keep driving it the way it is.

sbc,
like,statiksol said, get it tuned as soon as possible. It sounds to me like you have a new motor. Is that correct?
Pinging is never good, running too rich is bad also. You can wash down your cylinder walls etc..
But it would be better to run a couple points rich, than to ping a new motor. I would also drive the car as little as possible until you can dyno it. I know that is hard to do. Keep checking your plugs and watch for white specks.
Have you tried a colder plug yet? A motor with12.5:1 compresion isnt be anymeans stock. So be careful.
Or you will have an expense chunk of metal in your engine bay.

DAVE

Back