Please help....New car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

AkiraTTDrift

I just got a 97 civic hatch 3 days ago...Its not insured yet so I have been driving my 90 civic hatch everywhere until its sold...

Well anyways here is my question....Since I don't drive my new civic around anywhere I go start it up everyday just to well...I dunno warm up the engine, keep the oil curculated....but I have noticed that when the car idles I can here this soft whinning noise, it gets louder as I rev...but then when I push the clutch in the noise goes away...Does anyone know what could cause this noise and if its bad...The place I got the car at said a new clutch was just installed.

If you guys need anymore info about the situation just ask and I will try to answer in more detail.
Thanks a lot!

It could be your throwout bearing is fucked. It is the only thing it could be if it goes away when you push in the clutch.

sometimes when people replace the clutch, they dont bother to replace the throw out bearing. yes its retarded, no i dont know why they do it.

You guys are both wrong. The throwout bearing will only make noise if the clutch is pushed in. With the foot off the pedal, the throwout bearing is not spinning. However, the input shaft bearing is. When you press on the clutch pedal, the throwout bearing spins, and the input shaft bearing stops spinning.

So, if it makes noise in neutral with your foot off the pedal, it's the input shaft bearing.

Also, all transmissions will make some minor whirring noises while in neutral. Unless it's a loud squalling, I wouldn't worry about it. However, it's impossible to describe what is too loud, and it's impossible to tell what sound your car makes through the internet, so my advice is to take it to a dealer and ask.

Just thought i'd add this

when i bought my Del sol, the guy said everything was good on the car but the throw out bearing was going out. the car was clean, and it supposedly had the engine rebuilt, so i bought it. when i took the car to get the clutch replaced, the guy from the shop caled me after i dropped it off and told me it was the tranny. i guess the tranny had been run dry or without any gear oil, so it was fucked. the reason it surprised me though is cuz it didn't make a lot of noise, it just sounded like the throw out bearing. my point is you should have a tranny shop check it right away

Back